Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need of further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, The Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, that so I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, "Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away." Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wondered so long. In Jesus' name. Amen
Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

Thursday, February 1, 2018

An Invitation

Have you ever received an invitation that you just could not refuse?  Have you ever received an invitation that you had not one iota of interest in?  I'm sure you can respond with a YES to both of those questions.  I know that is true for me!  There are LOTS of invitations that I am sure would fit both categories for any number of people.

What about this invitation, "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."  Matthew 11:28-30  Doesn't that sound too good to be true and something not to be refused?  And yet TONS of people rejected this invitation directly from the mouth of Jesus!  Even though they saw the miracles He did!  "He came unto his own, and his own received him not.  But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:  Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God."  John 1:11-13  

People are still rejecting this invitation today.  The invitation wasn't to just the people who heard these words from the lips of Jesus on that day some 2,000 years ago.  They have been "spoken" from the Word of God ever since that day.  Not everyone who is invited will come, but EVERYONE is invited!  How will you respond to the invitation?

There are several questions that people raise about the doctrine of salvation, but one in particular was brought up again recently that I want to address just a bit.

John 3:16 says, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."  Jesus died for the sins of the whole world, right?  That's what this verse is saying, right?  But, if that is true, why are people in hell today?  If Jesus paid the price for their sins when He died on the cross, who's sins are they paying for while in hell?  If Jesus' blood sacrifice did not satisfy God's requirement, why did He die?  If Jesus' blood sacrifice did not satisfy God's requirement, Jesus died in vain!  If Jesus' blood sacrifice did not satisfy God's requirement, then we are ALL without hope!

The real question is, if Jesus died for the "world" and yet some are still going to hell, who then are the people the "world" refers to in John 3:16?  John MacArthur and John Piper say it better than I can.  Please read the links below, but this is what I believe and what they say:  

"But what does the term “world” mean when used in association with Jesus’s death? Does it refer to everyone without distinction or to everyone without exception? There is a difference.  Everyone without distinction would mean that Jesus died for all kinds of people from every tongue, tribe, people, and nation. Everyone without exception would mean that he died for every single individual person without any exception. This latter view asserts that even those who die rejecting Jesus can say that Jesus’s blood was for them because those for whom Jesus died may or may not have faith in him." ~ Jarvis Williams, guest contributor at "Desiring God."

For Whom Did Christ Die? by Jarvis Williams at Desiring God

For Whom Did Christ Die? by John MacArthur at Grace to You

I know without a shadow of a doubt that God's character would not allow His Son to die in vain!  Not one drop of His blood was wasted on someone He did not have the power to save!  He can either save to the uttermost, or He can't!  He is either the sovereign God, or He is not!  He can either do what He says, or He cannot!  Jesus either died for everyone without exception, or He died for everyone without distinction.

So, if Jesus didn't die for the sins of the world (everyone without exception), who did He die for?  I'm glad you asked!  He died for me!  But, I didn't choose to be saved.  I could not, would not have chosen to be saved.  But He didn't save me against my will, either!  He gave me the power to be willing to believe!  And I am so thankful that He did!  I don't know why He chose me!  I certainly didn't deserve it!  Still don't deserve it!  Will never, ever deserve it!  But, I am so glad He chose to save me from my sin!

Are you saying, "It is not fair that He would choose you, Vicky, over someone else?"  I would have said that, too, but it isn't a matter of fairness.  It's a matter of grace.  It's a matter of mercy.  His grace and His mercy was extended to me because He chose to!  I have no argument for that.  He showed mercy to me in that I didn't get what I deserved.  He showed grace to me in that I got what I didn't deserve!  I don't pretend to understand it, but I believe it!  Thank You, LORD, for choosing to save me out of my sins!  I know I would never, ever have come to You on my own.  My total depravity would not have ever had the desire to accept Your invitation to come to You!  Thank You, thank You, a thousand times, thank You!

Here's another good read:


This is not an in-depth study on the doctrine (teaching) of salvation.  I couldn't do that here, I'll leave that to the Bible scholars.  Wouldn't know where to begin, anyway!  Maybe I have given you something to think about in this post.  These are some of the things I believe.  There's so much more I could have said, too, I'm sure!  Do I have all of the answers?  No, in no way, shape or form do I have all of the answers.  Who does?  Only God!

But, I do have an invitation for you.  Will you come to Him?  Will you bring your burden of sin to Him?  Will you believe that His death on the cross was for your sins?  Will you turn your back on your sins (repent) and leave them at the cross for His death to take care of?  I pray that you will!



No comments: