Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need of further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, The Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, that so I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, "Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away." Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wondered so long. In Jesus' name. Amen
Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Rain, Rain, Rain

Didn't It Rain?  I don't remember when I first heard this song, but it has been in my head the last couple of days since hearing it on the radio.  And especially today with the rain we've had all day long with hardly a let-up!  A good day to stay home, make a pot of potato soup and drink coffee and work on a puzzle or read a good book or play on the computer, which is just what Ilene and I did.

Lyrics to the song above, since I know that if you listened to the youTube video, you certainly did NOT catch all of the words!  :D

Didn't it rain, children?
Talk 'bout rain, oh, my Lord
Didn't it, didn't it, didn't it, oh, my Lord?
Didn't it rain?

Didn't it rain, children?
Talk 'bout rain, oh, my Lord
Didn't it, didn't it, didn't it, oh, my Lord?
Didn't it rain?

It rained forty days, forty nights without stopping
Noah was glad when the rain stopped dropping
Knock at the window, a knock at the door
Crying, "brother Noah, can't you take on more?"
Noah cried, "no, you're full of sin
God got the key and you can't get in"

Just listen how it's rainin'
Will you listen how it's rainin'?
Just listen how it's rainin'
All day, all night
All night, all day

Just listen how it's rainin'
Just listen how it's rainin'
Just listen how it's rainin'

Some moaning, some groaning
Some groaning, some praying
Well, a whole
Didn't it rain till dawn?
Rain on, my Lord

Didn't it, didn't it?
Didn't it? Oh
Oh, my Lord
Didn't it rain?

Oh, God sent a raven to spread the news
To hoist his wings and away he flew
And to the north and to the south
And to the east and to the west
All day, all night, all night, all day

Well, just listen how it's rainin'
Well, just listen how it's rainin'
Oh, listen how it's rainin'

Some prayin', some cryin'
Some runnin', some moanin'
Will you listen how it's rainin'?
Just listen how it's rainin'
Just listen how it's rainin'

Didn't it rain, children?
Rain on, my Lord
Didn't it, didn't it, didn't it? Oh
Oh, my Lord, didn't it rain?
Rain, rain, rain, rain, rain


I think it must have been a negro spiritual.  You can read about and listen to the original artist, Mahalia Jackson, HERE.

There was blessing and cursing in the flood of Noah's day, the flood that covered the entire earth (Genesis 6 - 8).  It was a blessing of salvation to Noah and his family (Genesis 6:8).  It was a curse to everyone else who rejected Noah's message of salvation (2 Peter 2:5 - Noah was a preacher).

God has sent rain on the just and the unjust ever since that day (Matthew 5:45).  And it is still a blessing and a curse at times.  The rains help the farmer when it comes at the right time and in the right amounts.  But, other times it is a curse when it doesn't come when it is needed, or when it comes and keeps coming to cause flooding and destruction of property.

God chose Noah and his family to be saved in the ark.  Everyone else knew about the ark, but they rejected it.  The same is true today.  God is sending His message of salvation to the whole world.  Heed the warning!  Come to the Ark, the Lord Jesus Christ!

Turning over the puzzle pieces.

Current puzzle

Sitting in a tree by the feeder.  The cold rain is not a problem for the birds of the field!

Have a great Wednesday!

No comments: