Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need of further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, The Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, that so I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, "Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away." Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wondered so long. In Jesus' name. Amen
Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Your Happiness Is My Reward

We postponed our Christmas gathering last month due to having been exposed to a couple from church who had tested positive for COVID.  That gathering is to be this weekend.  However, it may not happen.  Mark started feeling badly last Wednesday.  His voice started changing.  He was stopped up.  He coughed some.  He felt pretty lousy on Saturday.  Sunday he woke up feeling better, however Monday he was not feeling great again and he had lost his sense of smell.  Today his sense of taste is waning.  Yesterday, since he still was not feeling great we decided to go somewhere to get tested just to be sure since the family is due to come in.

We went to where Mark's family doctor is because they are doing COVID testing from 4-8.  We got there about 3:45, called to let them know we were in the parking lot.  They took our information and said they would call us and send someone out to get us.  They have 4 reserved parking spots around the side of their clinic.  Those were full, so we parked in front of the East Coast Wings and told them where to look for us.

Before they called, one of the spaces cleared out in their reserved parking area.  So, we moved the car over there.  Mark said, "I know that will make East Coast Wings happy."  All of a sudden his phone says to him, "Your happiness is my reward!"  (I'll address this statement more at the end) It struck us both funny and we burst into laughter.  I guess Big Sister was listening to us??!!

Anyway, we got the call at 4:25 and the nurse came out to get us.  She looked like she was going to be taking care of hazardous materials the way she was decked out with the plastic gown that covered her clothes.  And not only did she have on disposable gloves, but she had on a mask AND a face shield!

After examinations the doctor was suspect of Mark having COVID because of losing his sense of smell and because of his sickness lasting as long as it has.  He said it is not uncommon for one spouse to be positive and the other to be negative. He also said even though he was leaning toward Mark having COVID that we would just have to wait for the results to be positive.  He said he has had patients who he could swear had it, but didn't and vise versa!  So, in 2 - 3 days we will have results.  In the meantime we are to quarantine, so Mark will not be going back to work until the test results are back.

I really have not had anything other than the normal sinus stuff I always have and the stuff that is usually related to my IBS problems, but with the family coming in, I went ahead and got tested, too.  First time I have used my Medicare.

So, we would appreciate your prayers for quick test results......and that they are negative!  I really don't want to put off this weekend again!


Now, back to the statement made by the Google chick on Mark's phone, "Your happiness is my reward."  As Christians, shouldn't this be our desire for every person with who we come into contact.......that God brings into our path......that when they leave our presence they are happier than before they came into our presence?  1 Thessalonians 3:12 says, "And the Lord make you to increase and abound in love one toward another, and toward all men, even as we do toward you:"  If we truly love others as Christ loves, I know they will leave our presence happier!  Don't you love to be loved by others?

My first thought when I heard this statement was towards my husband.......my desire, as a submissive wife, is and always has been this very thing.......if you are happy, I'm happy!  If you are happy, husband, that is my reward.  That's why I always see to it my husband gets the biggest piece of pie, or whatever.  That's why, after a long day at work, I don't want him to have to fix his own supper.  It's why I do the things I do as a wife.  Do I always get it right?  No, but I try, and it really is my heart's desire.  To serve rather than be served.

And, ultimately, our reward should be in making our LORD happy by obeying Him.  John 14:15 says, "If ye love me, keep my commandments."  

I pray that each day you and I will be the person to make someone happy.  Let us live our lives in a way that draws people to Christ.



No comments: