Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need of further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, The Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, that so I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, "Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away." Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wondered so long. In Jesus' name. Amen
Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

Sunday, November 26, 2017

Out of the Mouth of Babes

The conversations of children can be somewhat comical at times......and sometimes you wonder where in the world they get some of the stuff they say.  Jessica and I were talking about everything and nothing at the same time when the kids decided to join us.  For a while they played trying to figure out which hand the wadded up piece of paper was in.  Then, the following conversation began:

Chance to Thad:  You have 11 girlfriends.
Thad:  No I don't!  I don't even have 10!
Mommy to Thad:  Do you have one girlfriend?
Thad:  No!
Mommy:  How many do you have?
Thad:  6
Mommy:  What's their names?
Thad (smiling sheepishly):  I forget!
Then Chance and mommy proceed to mention some names.  One name came alive with Thad...
Thad to Chance:  "_________" likes me the most.  She said she wants to marry me and have babies with me and kiss me!
Mommy:  She said that???!!!  A kindergartener said that???!!!

Mommy's question said, "How does a little kid just starting school even know how to talk like that?!"  Not all parenting matches your own, Mommy!  Not everyone's morals are equal to yours, unfortunately.  Not everyone has the same belief, either, that guides how you parent.  If there is any consolation from that conversation, Mommy, it is that things are in the "proper order!"  You know......marriage comes first, then the babies, THEN the kissing!  :D

Seriously, though, conversations like this from a 6 year old are scary!  What happened to boys and girls believing that the opposite sex had cooties until the age of 12 or 13??  I guess the sexual revolution of the 60's and 70's changed that, didn't it?  What a shame that kids can't be kids any more!  I don't think I even realized boys could be something other than brothers til I was 14!  That may be stretching it a bit, but you get my point! 

I'm glad I had the chance to grow up as a kid!  I'm glad for being able to play with boys and girls my own age without having to think about the sex thing when I was a kid.  I'm glad my parents kept me pretty naive about the adult "stuff."  Thank you, mom and dad, for your parenting!  I wish I had let you know how much I appreciate your wisdom!  Thank you for giving me a real childhood!

Mommy, keep doing what you are doing!  Keep praying for your kids!  Pray for wisdom in raising your kids!  Are you going to always do it right?  NOPE!  But, don't forget, God can right the wrongs of our parenting!


No comments: