Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need of further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, The Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, that so I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, "Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away." Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wondered so long. In Jesus' name. Amen
Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Why Go to Church?

A good friend from the power plant where I worked in WV sent this to me. I think it is a perfect message for today!


Why Go to Church?
A Church goer wrote a letter to the editor of a newspaper and
complained that it made no sense to go to church every Sunday.
"I've gone for 30 years now," he wrote, "and in that time I
have heard something like 3,000 sermons. But for the life of
me, I can't remember a single one of them. So, I think I'm
wasting my time and the pastors are wasting theirs by giving
sermons at all."

This started a real controversy in the "Letters to the Editor"
column, much to the delight of the editor. It went on for weeks
until someone wrote this clincher:

"I've been married for 30 years now. In that time my wife has
cooked some 32,000 meals. But, for the life of me, I cannot
recall the entire menu for a single one of those meals But I do
know this.. They all nourished me and gave me the strength I
needed to do my work. If my wife had not given me these meals,
I would be physically dead today. Likewise, if I had not gone
to church for nourishment, I would be spiritually dead today!"
When you are DOWN to nothing.... God is UP to something! Faith
sees the invisible, believes the incredible and receives the
impossible! Thank God for our physical AND our spiritual
nourishment!


"When Satan is knocking at your door, simply say, "Jesus, could
you get that for me?"

Have a blessed day!

2 comments:

Elisabeth said...

nice to see you back!! Very good post too.

jessicaday said...

Love it!!