GOOGLE COOKIES: Read more about how Google uses cookies on this blog that I have no control of: Google Policies and Privacy

WARNING: This site contains religious content. If you are easily offended by religion, you had better not read any further!

Visit our Church website

Visit my Today's Scrap blog

Visit my she was unwilling, but God..... blog

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Busy Week

We were given some veggies from a couple at church right before we left last week, so I had to take care of canning or freezing them before they ruined.

Monday, I snapped and cooked these green beans with a ham bone I had saved and added some red potatoes to eat for dinner.  YUM!

 I prepared the 2 small cucumbers by cutting them in slices along with some onion slices and placed the veggies in a quart jar.  Then I poured a cup of cider vinegar in, 3/4 cup of sugar and filled the jar with water and shook it til the sugar was dissolved.  Tim loves this!  Mom used to fix cucumbers and onions like this all the time!
The only thing in this photo that wasn't given to us are the long, dark green bell peppers.  I'm glad none of them ruined while we were gone.
 This is all the banana and green peppers cut up for the freezer.  I use LOTS of green peppers AND onions when I cook!  This made a sandwich bag full!
 I boiled water and put all the tomatoes in it so the skin would peel off.  After I let the tomatoes cool and got the skins off, I blended all of them together and had about a quart.  But when I cooked them to prepare them for canning I ended up with about 3 cups.  I'll use it for soup, probably.

Tuesday - After we received the second batch of green beans, I decided to can the remainder of the first batch.  I got 2 quarts.  Then I used the same ham bone for the next batch.
 Here's the second batch of veggies given to us, after I had snapped the beans.  Tim helped me with this batch of beans.  He wasn't quite as picky about the bug bites on the beans as I had been!  :D
 When Tim went to pick up the veggies, he gathered all of the banana peppers shown in the picture above from one pepper plant.  I got 2 sandwich bags full for the freezer.
 This time for the tomatoes, after peeling the skins off I cut them up and got a quart-sized freezer bag full.
Here's the ham bone and ham that I used to flavor the 1st and 2nd batch of beans with.
 The second batch made 3 3/4 quarts of beans.  So, we will enjoy these goodies and are so thankful for Lorien and Carolyn Wooten sharing with us!
 Wednesday I needed to get a few grocery items, so while at Walmart I checked out their fall flowers because the pansies that were hanging in the pots all summer were just about shot.  I found these mums for $1.97 each, so I got 8 yellow ones and 8 purple ones.  I ripped out the pansies in the hanging pots around the carport and replaced them with the mums.  That took care of 8 of the 16 plants I bought.  It was time to get ready for church so I set the other 8 aside til Thursday.

 Thursday - Heavy dew this morning!  Cooler, and wonderfully comfortable temperature, too!  Tim and I did our regular 3 thrift stores before lunch at Pizza Hut and then 3 others after lunch.
 I saw this ceramic plaque at one of the thrifts and took a picture so I could reproduce it digitally.  Why buy it if you can make it yourself!  :D

After thrifting and before going to dinner at "13 Bones" ribs, steaks and seafood restaurant, I planted the rest of the mums.  I put 2 more in pots and planted the other 6 in the front of the house. I need to find out what zone we are in cuz the might be perennials for us since we are further south, according to the plant tag.

 So, here's a look at the front of the house with all the plants, including 2 bushes Tim and I found at Lowe's that were marked down to $4.00.
 Here's a closer-up view of each side.

 And here's a closer view of the bushes we got!  If we can just keep them going!  They are evergreens according to the plant tag.  Our problem with growing things along the front of the house is that there is an overhang that keeps the plants right up next to the house from benefitting from the rain.  Everything has to be watered to survive and we have proven over and over again that we are not good at doing this.  These evergreens "say" they don't need much water.......after they have "settled" into their new homes.

 So, there you have it.  Another busy week!  Tomorrow, I think I need to take some "play" time in my craft room!  :D