Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need of further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, The Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, that so I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, "Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away." Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wondered so long. In Jesus' name. Amen
Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

Monday, July 27, 2015

Fun Day Monday



Monday, July 27, 2015
So, we have had an interesting day today.  I’m reminded of this verse, “In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.” 1 Thessalonians 5:18.  Tim reminded us in church last night that the key word in this verse is that little word, “In” at the very beginning of the verse.  Notice that it does not read, “FOR everything give thanks…”  So, with that in mind, I AM thankful for the Lord’s watch care over us today.  We will never know what He spared us from.  And now I will begin the description of the day’s events.

This is the week for the annual Bible Conference we attend at the Rollynsburg Baptist Church in Talcott, WV, which began at 2:00 p.m. today.  We got up early, made the final preparations and finished loading the car.  In order to make the 2:00 service, we left the house at 9:00 a.m.  That would allow us to stop in Wytheville, VA for a fill up of gas ($2.35/gal), and a stop at Bob Evans in Princeton, WV for lunch.

Things were going as normal for the trip, which we make several times a year to attend the Preacher’s Fellowships in WV.  I do not drive, so I take along things to play with on the trip.  I was able to take my laptop and enjoy doing some scrapbooking for a change.  I stopped taking the laptop because of the constant glare and reflection on the screen, but I finally bought an anti-glare, anti-reflecting film for the screen.  WOW!  It works wonders!

At around 10:15 a warning message came up on the car speedometer panel, “low oil pressure, shut engine off.”  Tim said it had done that before, and nothing came of it.  Well, he was afraid to continue driving the car, so we took exit 8 at Fancy Gap, VA and drove to a gas station.  He checked the oil and added a quart, even though that then put it above the full mark.  So, we got back on 77 North and made our way towards Wytheville, VA for our next pit stop.

Gassed up and back on the road.  So far, so good.  Then it happened.  The warning came on again.  We were not near an exit this time.  So, we pulled off the side of the express way at mile marker 46.4, about 1 mile before the first tunnel, right on the Bland/Wythe Counties line.

 Love these little flowers.....periwinkle?  Took these while sitting on the side of the road.


At this point, I need to thank Tim’s mom for getting us an AAA Membership for Christmas in 2013.  So, when the renewal came around in 2014, we renewed!  Boy, am I glad we did!  We travel the road so often that we knew it was bound to happen sooner or later that we would need a tow!  Today was that day!  AAA of NC put us through to their office in VA and in 1/2 hour, a guy from R & C Towing and Repair Co, off exit 41, picked us up right on time.....around noon.  He asked where we wanted him to take us and we said to the nearest repair shop.  He said that would be his shop, so we said that was fine.

The car being towed.

We were told they would not get to us until after lunch.  What choice did we have but to wait!  They had a nice, cool waiting area.  It was past our planned lunch time at Bob Evans, so we brought in the snacks and cooler from the car and began our wait.  I had brought along a book to read, too, so I began reading.  Tim went to the car to get his iPad to go over his sermon notes he would be preaching at the conference on Thursday.  Upon looking for his sermon he discovered he had not transferred it from the computer to the iPad!  OOPS!  You know what that means?  When whatever problem the car had was fixed we would be going back home for the notes.  1 1/2 hours back the same way we had just come!  Well, it happens to the best of us!  :D

Finally, around 2 p.m. they started working on the car.  The office girl peeked into the waiting room and told us it was a “sending unit” and the part was on the way and the parts and labor would cost $184.  She told us we would probably be back on the road around 3:30.  That didn’t happen exactly.  I think it was more like 4:30 when we were on the road back home.  We did stop at a Bob Evans near the repair shop before we got back on 77 South.

 Tim and I both ordered the turkey and dressing dinner at Bob Evans!  It was DELICIOUS!!

I finished my book, so while at the house I got a couple more.  Tim took care of transferring his notes to the iPad and we were back on the road around 6:30.  We stopped in Wytheville to fill up the gas again, even though we didn’t need much.  It is 8:15 as I am writing this and we are going through the first tunnel, Big Walker Mountain Tunnel.

It will probably be going on 10 p.m. when we arrive at the Sandman Hotel in Hinton, WV.  While at Bob Evans, I made a call to the hotel to let them know we were still coming, but it would be later.  She asked what time and I told her around 10.  She said that was fine because the office was open until 11.  I wanted to call so they wouldn’t end up giving up our room to someone else.  A lot of the preachers stay in this same hotel during this week.

 The owners of the hotel also run a DQ next door!  :D

I only have one thing to say about the events of the day.  And I said it at the very beginning of this post, but it bears repeating.  We will probably never know what the Lord spared us from today.  And I’m not thankful FOR the unexpected out-of-pocket expense.  But I am thankful that it was not as costly as it could have been.  I am thankful that we are safe.  I am thankful for the Lord’s protection and provision as He keeps His promise to provide all of the needs we have as His children.  I know Tim was frustrated when the events of the day did not match our plans, especially after he realized that he had not transferred his sermon notes over and we were going to have to make that trip back to the house.  But, other than my tail bone feeling it right now, I can honestly say that I have been at peace all day in the circumstances.  No need fretting about it.  No need stewing about it.  No need to lose sleep over it.  We are no worse for the wear!  Thank You, Lord!

We actually arrived at the hotel between 9:15 and 9:30.  Nite!  Looking forward to a day of great preaching and good food and fellowship tomorrow!

No comments: