Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need of further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, The Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, that so I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, "Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away." Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wondered so long. In Jesus' name. Amen
Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

Monday, July 30, 2018

Wedding Bells

Well, last Wednesday, my girls.....yes, I'm going to blame this on them.....talked me into eloping!  We had given the idea some thought, anyway!  But, I wanted a church wedding!  But after talking to the girls about the possibilities (wearing my gown to the reception dinner) I sent Mark a text and told him I was going to call about getting married at the court house. 

We had a trip planned to the beach to meet Mark's son, so I contacted someone there about quoting the use of a minister.  $199 for the vows only!  But, it was only $20 at the court house!  It was a done deal!  The problem was the day time magistrate only performed weddings til 2:30 p.m.  Mark doesn't leave work til 3:30.  That's when we learned that the court house is open 24 hours for performing weddings!  Who knew?!  All we had to do was have two witnesses and $20 and we were good to go!  We had purchased the marriage license on the previous Monday.

Then I had to round up some witnesses.  So, I sent a text to Sharon and Joy to see if they and Calvin could be there to perform the duties of witnesses and pictures and moral support!  They had a prior engagement but said Calvin could pick them up at 8:00 and head to the court house.  And so the fun began!  Here are some pictures and a video!

July 26, 2018
Mark and Vicky become Mr. and Mrs. Mark Whittemore

The first order of business was to get a boutineer and bouquet, so I went to Beverly's Floral shop in Midway.  And, as instructed by Joy, I asked for Terry!  Here she is working on the boutineer and bouquet.  When she learned I needed it because I was getting married later she dropped what she was doing and worked up my bouquet and Mark's boutineer.  THANKS, Terry!






Dressed and ready to go!



Calvin, Sharon and Joy arrived before us. 



I was having a difficult time putting the boutineer on Mark without reaching my hand into his shirt to pin it.  Joy said, "You can't do that!  You're not married!  So, I'll have to do it!"



Joy and Sharon sang an impromptu song for us:

The magistrate was in the criminal justice portion of the court house.  Notice the barbed wire along the top of the fence to the right.


Here's the $20!

Billy Williams, the magistrate, explaining to Sharon where to sign.

Witness #1

Witness #2

Billy asked if someone was going to take pictures.  Sharon reminded him of this sign that said no cell phones or pictures were allowed.  He said, forget about that!  He said these two are dressed up too nicely not to take pictures!  And, I normally perform the ceremony right behind my glass, but we are going to find somewhere nice to do this!  He complimented us on how nice we looked.  I told him that I was told people wore anything and some even had an entire wedding party.  He said that was so for the daytime shift, but not the night time shift!


Thanking these 3 wonderful and dear friends for putting up with our last minute shenanigans!









I asked Joy and Sharon if I should throw the bouquet to them and at the exact same time they both responded, "Please don't!"  I have to get the video of that moment from Joy.  When I do, I will post it!

So, you can call me Vicky Whittemore (pronounced Whit-i-more) from now on. That is bittersweet to me.  I'm sure you understand what I mean!

There will still be a reception dinner on September 1st at the church.  I won't be walking down an aisle, but I will be wearing my wedding dress!

Thank You, Lord, for your blessings on me!

1 comment:

Robinsismai said...

Congratulations Vicki!! I'm so happy for you. My husband and I got married in the courthouse, no fancy clothes, but that's wasn't what mattered!!