Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need of further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, The Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, that so I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, "Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away." Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wondered so long. In Jesus' name. Amen
Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Challenges

We all face challenges in life.  Some rock our world while others are a part of our everyday life and we just learn to live with them.

I think one of the challenges we all face is finding enough hours in the day to do all we want or need to do.  The devotional Bible I am reading had a story about time today with a pretty good breakdown of the hours in a week and how they might be used.  First of all, we all start out with the same number of hours:  7 days x 24 hours per day = 168 hours.

Sleep:  56 hours
Eating:  12 hours
Work:  48 hours
That totals 116 hours for your basic needs.  That leaves 52 hours to do with as you please.  Of course, this will vary with each individual.

A "tithe" to God was taken from these remaining hours.  So, 5.2 hours belongs to God.  Those of us who attend church 3 times a week use up 3 of these hours, not counting travel time.  That leaves 2.2 hours that still belongs to God.  If you divide 2.2 hours by 7, you get .31428571 hour per day (roughly 20 minutes) to spend in prayer and Bible study.  THAT doesn't seem like very much to me.

So, what you have left is 46.8 hours for the week.  Divide that by 7 and you still have 6.68571429 hours per day to do what you "want," which will include drive time, house work, groceries, dressing, etc.

What you do with these remaining hours will depend on your priorities in life.  Also, the job that God has called you to do.  Luke 16:1-3 "And he said also unto his disciples, There was a certain rich man, which had a steward; and the same was accused unto him that he had wasted his goods.  2 And he called him, and said unto him, How is it that I hear this of thee? give an account of thy stewardship; for thou mayest be no longer steward.  3 Then the steward said within himself, What shall I do? for my lord taketh away from me the stewardship: I cannot dig; to beg I am ashamed."

I'm afraid that I am guilty of wasting a lot of time on things that are of no real importance in light of eternal matters.  And, I'm wondering if the "tithe" of time should be taken off the "gross" just like our tithe we give to the church.  That would be 16.8 hours spent for God throughout the week.  That is a little over 2 hours per day working for and serving the Lord.

It would probably be wise to take inventory more often of how we spend or time.

On to part of the activity today that I "wasted" some time on....doing some challenges at the DigiChick:

I made a bookmark for my prayer journal.


I made this calendar for my desktop on my laptop computer
 
This was done for the quote/scripture challenge.

Done in my art journaling Bible

This morning, after I got up at 8:15, I made the bed, spent an hour on my devotions and prayer, got my shower then headed to Planet Fitness.  I walked for 30 minutes at 2 mph.  Then I went to Aldi's for groceries on the way back to the house.  After lunch, Tim and I went to see Mrs. Parks.  She was doing her physical therapy.  She was working out on a rowing type of machine.  Doing very well, too!  She will be able to come home soon!

That was my day!  Hope you had a good one!

2 comments:

http://1writingservice.com/ said...

It seems like math used to be your favorite subject at school:) I like your calculations and I think they are absolutely correct! It is great to know how much time belongs to God.Thank you for lovey post!

Anonymous said...

Great thoughts on the "tithe" of time.