Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need of further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, The Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, that so I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, "Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away." Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wondered so long. In Jesus' name. Amen
Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Wife of Thy Youth

Tim has been reading a lot of books on eating healthfully (healthily??) the last couple of weeks.  And it involves getting rid of as many of the preservatives and chemicals as possible from the foods you eat.  He has been buying fresh fruits, organic type cereal, green tea, etc.  So I asked him yesterday when we went to Walmart to pick up a few items what the deal was with all this stuff he was buying.  He basically said that since he is not eligible to receive Social Security since he opted out of it when he first started his ministry (not than anyone else will get it, either by the time he is ready) he is going to be preaching for a whole bunch more years.  And since that is the case, he needs to be getting healthier.  He said he wanted to take me with him through all of those years, but his concern is that if I keep gaining more and more weight every year that I won't be able to help him because of poor health or worse yet I won't even be around.  That wouldn't be worse for me, but you know what I mean!  Anyway, that's paraphrasing what he said and I know he understands neither of us may live that long, anyway, as that is in the LORD's hands, but I just thought that was the sweetest thing he could have said to me!  So, I had to accept his invitation!  The picture below is of the organic cereal I ate for lunch.  It was REALLY good!  My kind of cereal with whole grains and nuts!  And, let me tell you, it held me for most of the afternoon!  But, right now, I am wanting a salty snack REALLY bad!!!  I might have to go to bed early to keep from eating!  :D

I used my "Morning Has Broken" kit for this page.

4 comments:

Kimberly Pitman said...

It is quite the challenge to eat healthy foods, isn't it? We're trying to do better here, too. And like you, there's no SS in our future so no retirement either. I'm not sure that's a bad thing, though, since it seems to me that most retirees just sit around and either eat all day or veg out and become couch potatoes. I think I'd prefer the keep busy future.

Elisabeth said...

Brad and I are on the other side of this. We are worried that he won't get any of the thousands of dollars he pays into SS every year. It's very irritating to know you pay so much into it and might not get any of the money...

jessicaday said...

We're planning on not getting Social Security either. We try to think of it as paying taxes since it's something we have to do (and kind of depressing). We've been putting money into our own 401Ks for like 12 years now.

Elisabeth said...

Brad does have a 401K that he pays into.