Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need of further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, The Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, that so I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, "Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away." Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wondered so long. In Jesus' name. Amen
Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Adorning the Doctrine of God - Titus 2:10

Have you ever come across this verse in your Bible and wondered what on earth it was referring to? Well, my DH preached a GREAT sermon this morning on this subject! TOMORROW you can hear it here: http://www.hbcws.us/index.html

But, for now, I thought I would share with you some things I learned today. Then you can share any thoughts you might have. You might want to get your Bible to follow along with the verses because I am not going to write them out, only bits and pieces.

Our actions, our lives, can either "adorn" (Titus 2:10) or "blaspheme" (Titus 2:5) the doctrine of God.

It is interesting to learn that the Greek word for "adorn" in this chapter is kosmeo, which is where our word, cosmetic, comes from. Kosmeo means to put in proper order, i.e. decorate --adorn, garnish, trim. LOL, ladies! Is this not what we are doing when we apply our makeup, our cosmetics?! We are beautifying ourselves, embellishing, (I like that scrapbooking term) and making ourselves look better; more appealing!

So, with knowing what the word "adorn" means now, we can ask ourselves the question....."Do we beautify the gospel?" When people "observe" our lives, can they say about us, like they said about the disciples, "They've been with Jesus?" (Acts 4:13) We ought to be continually making the gospel, the doctrine of God, look good!

Next question to ask ourselves is, "How we can do this?"

1. By our actions. Matthew 5:14-16
We MUST let our lights shine! The world is filled with darkness, so we MUST let our lights shine so others will be able to see the way to Christ. We are the light of the world. We are privileged to be allowed to shine and adorn the doctrine of God!

2. By our lives. Titus 2:12
We will adorn the doctrine of God when we:
-> deny ungodliness (anything the opposite of godliness)
-> deny worldly lusts (strong desires for the wrong things)
Instead, we must:
-> live soberly (having the self control the HS of God helps us with)
-> live righteously (righteousness cannot come out of us until it is in us of God)
-> live godly (not following ungodliness. To live godly, we must possess God in our heart)

3. By being an example 1 Timothy 4:12
-> in word (good speech; God honoring speech)
-> in conversation (the way you live; your conduct)
-> in charity (agape love)
-> in spirit (HS controlling our lives)
-> in faith (our beliefs)
-> in purity (holy, pure living)

4. By our beliefs, or doctrine 1 Timothy 4:16
-> doctrine of Christ, 2 John 9
-> sound doctrine, Titus 2:1. "sound" is the idea of being healthy or hygienic. False doctrine will make you sick spiritually.

5. By being doers of the Word Matthew 7:21-27
Just knowing God's Word is not enough. We must "do" God's Word!

These 5 steps answer the question of how we can adorn the doctrine of God.

I hope you enjoyed this. I sure did!

1 comment:

Kimberly Pitman said...

It is humbling to realize that we're either sdorning the gospel or we're blaspheming it. But this makes sense, doesn't it! We're either making it look good or saying that our redeemer is weak and impotent.

Good thoughts on why adorning is the opposite of blasphemy. I guess we're all blasphemers each and every day. That helps make me a bit more sympathetic to others who are struggling through trials also.