Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need of further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, The Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, that so I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, "Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away." Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wondered so long. In Jesus' name. Amen
Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

Monday, December 27, 2010

Winter Wonderland

I'm pretty sure we moved from the area of Winter Wonderlands..............so how is it that we have had so much snow in the 2009/2010 winters?  One thing for sure, it is beautiful!  But, that is about it for me!  Especially when it causes your electricity to go off and causes cancellation of church services!

Last night, right before I went to bed at about midnight, the electricity went off for just a second.  So quick that I didn't even have to turn the computer back on.  The lights had been flickering and dimming all evening.  I am assuming now that it was the wet snow packing itself on the tree branches and everything else it landed on!  But, I didn't think anything about it.  After all, we weren't in WV where it was a common thing for the electricity to go out as tree branches out on the hills fell into the lines all the time!

Fast forward to 2:30 a.m.  Tim rolled over to look at the clock, but it was off.  He rolled back over and went to sleep thinking the electricity would be back on in the morning.  Not so much!  At 6:30 I saw him in the very dimly lit kitchen (from a flash light) and heard him pulling down the candles from the cabinets.  Then I heard him opening every drawer looking for matches.  By this time, I was up (to get some aspirin for my headache that I always wake up with) and got the matches and lit all the candles for him.  Then I went to the bathroom and back to bed, thinking the electricity would probably be back on by the time I needed to get up and ready for church.  Didn't happen.  I never did go back to sleep, but my headache had gone away, to I got up.

Since there was no electricity by 8:30, we called to let everyone know there would be no services.  Tim walked over to the neighbors' and found out that the electricity would be back on by 6 pm!!!  YIKES!  I should hope WAY sooner than that!  So, I bundled up and sat on the couch to crochet.  Tim did some reading.  The neighbor was on his way to Walmart and asked if we needed anything.  Tim told him to bring us some bread and milk back.  We waited forever for him to bring it back.  When he finally did bring it back, he told us the roads were fine.  So, we went to McD's for breakfast.  It was about 10:30 by that time.  We hung out in Walmart for a bit, dreading having to come back to the cold house.  Mainly, though, because there was nothing to do..............without electricity, that is!

When we got back, we worked on the parking lot and the side walks some.  It was warming up and things were starting to drip.  Then Tim put down some salt and we went inside.  By this time it is 60 in the house and I put my fish in a bag for Tim to take to his fish tank in the office because his water over there was 70 degrees still.  Then I went back to crocheting and Tim did some reading and was just starting to snooze when the SWEET electric hum of the refrigerator could be heard!  THANK YOU, LORD!  And the best part...........It was 12:15 pm, not 6 pm!  Hallelujah!!  The temperature had dropped another 2 degrees in the house and was now 58, and I had wrapped my scarf around my neck and wrapped in an afghan.  So, the electricity came back just in time!  I was beginning to think I would have to snuggle up in bed!

Anyway, here's some pictures for you to "enjoy????"  If you enjoy them, that's ok!  I enjoyed the beauty, if not the resulting problems!


Tree outside the back door

Out front looking toward the road

..................even the snow!

Bundled up for picture-taking.

Taken from the road

Looking across the field next door.  How pretty!

Low-hanging wires.  I don't think the electric company would have just left this hanging, so I figure someone from one of the houses nearby did this, but I don't know.
Low hanging tree branches.  We heard a chain saw, so I guess the power company was working on getting some branches off the power lines.

4 comments:

jessicaday said...

I love that first picture - the tree looks kind of craggy and so interesting! My friend said it best when she said only God can make all white look so beautiful.
I'm sorry the power was out - that sounds miserable! I'm glad it was back before you went to sleep. :-)
I love you!

LovelyMissKait said...

Vicky,
sorry to hear that your electricity went out and service was cancelled. ;(
However, you got some awesome photos! :)
Here in N.J. we got 18 inches of snow, which we are still shoveling out of the driveway.
I'll post picts. on my blog later.
Have a great day.
Kait

kimeric kreations said...

Oh Vicky!!! Scrap those gorgeous photo's! While I feel for ya on the electricity issue - I'm so used to it up here that we are just always prepared....I see all that beautiful landscape, and figure God was simply sharing some Wisconsin-ness with you! :)

Anonymous said...

I love it when the snow sticks to the trees like that! SO pretty!!! Although, I know all too well about the power outage issue!!!