Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need of further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, The Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, that so I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, "Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away." Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wondered so long. In Jesus' name. Amen
Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

Friday, March 30, 2018

A Special Name

What's in a name?  When you read the name of someone in the Bible, lots of times you also read the meaning of the name given.  One example I love, which might be the one most people know, is found in Matthew 1:23, "Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us."  Another is Matthew 1:21, "And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins."

In Genesis we see Adam's name appears for the first time in chapter 2:19, "And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof."  You don't see a definition and before this you just see him referred to as "man."  The Hebrew word for "man" and "Adam" is ʼâdam, pronounced aw-dawm' which is a transliteration from Hebrew to English.

Genesis 3:20, "And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living."  That is an important name, isn't it?!  But, not as important as the names Jesus or Emmanuel!

I found out the meaning of my name, Vicky, is victory or triumphant.  I like that!  I believe my name was part of my predestination in Christ.  I am victorious in Christ!  But that is the only way I could be or will be triumphant over sin.  It is only in His power and strength that any of us can overcome the temptations of the evil one.  1 Corinthians 10:13 says, "There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it."

Do you know what the meaning of your name is?


I have another name that I like, too!  It is pronounced differently from one person to another, but it all means the same.....Grandma!  Whether they call me Mamaw, Mawmaw, Meemaw, it matters not!  I love being a Grandma!  And I have been with 8 of the 9 grandchildren this trip.
Adalina Grace

My son and youngest, Nathanael Timothy

The youngest grandchild, Araya Lynn (Lynn is my middle name)

The youngest grandson, Thaddeus Cooper

I feel so blessed to have the opportunity to have some influence on these precious lives.  Children given to us from God.  Father, I pray I have an influence toward Your kingdom with these precious children.  I pray they will one day trust You as their Savior and Lord!  Help me to remember to pray for their salvation every day!  Thank You for making me a woman.  Thank You for making me a woman able to bring new life into this world.  Thank You for the grandchildren You have given to me!  Thank You for my name!


That Beautiful Name

1 I know of a name,
A beautiful name,
That angels bro't down to earth;
They whispered it low
One night long ago,
To a maiden of lowly birth.

Refrain:
That beautiful name,
That beautiful name,
From sin has power to free us!
That beautiful name,
That wonderful name,
That matchless name is Jesus!

2 I know of a name,
A beautiful name,
That unto a Babe was given;
The stars glittered bright
Thro'out that glad night,
And angels praised God in heav’n. [Refrain]

3 The One of that name,
My Savior became,
My Savior of Calvary;
My sins nailed Him there,
My burdens He bare.
He suffered all this for me. [Refrain]

4 I love that blest name,
That wonderful name,
Made higher than all in heaven;
’Twas whispered, I know,
In my heart long ago,
To Jesus my life I’ve given. [Refrain]


Oh, How I Love Jesus!

1 There is a name I love to hear,
I love to sing its worth;
it sounds like music in my ear,
the sweetest name on earth. 


Refrain:
O how I love Jesus,
O how I love Jesus,
O how I love Jesus,
because he first loved me!

2 It tells me of a Savior's love,
who died to set me free;
it tells me of his precious blood,
the sinner's perfect plea. [Refrain]

3 It tells of one whose loving heart
can feel my deepest woe;
who in each sorrow bears a part
that none can bear below. [Refrain]




No comments: