Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need of further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, The Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, that so I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, "Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away." Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wondered so long. In Jesus' name. Amen
Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Another Week Bites the Dust!

On Monday, we drove to Talcott, WV (3 hour trip) for the 60th Annual Mountain State Missionary Baptist Bible Conference (as the sign below clearly indicates, lol!). They usually begin the services after the 5:00 meal on Monday. However, this year the services started at 2:00. So, we were late. It was 2:05 when we pulled into the parking lot of the church to pick up the key to the cabin where we would spend the night. The parking lot of the church was full, which was unusual for this time of the day. Tim saw someone walking across the parking lot and asked what was going on. They told him the services had started at 2:00. OOOPS! We were not dressed to stay for the services, and instead of interrupting Bro. Stalnaker for the key to the cabin, we just hoped that someone was still there so we could get in to change our clothes. Well, that was not to happen! So, guess where we got dressed? On the deck in the back of the house which is next to the woods. Fortunately, the houses are not that close, so no one could see us. You should have seen me trying to hold my clothes and undress and dress without anything touching the dirty deck! I tucked my blouse between my legs, slipped my skirt over my head and over my shirt and capris. Took my shirt off. Folded it and placed it on the cleanest spot I could find on the deck railing. Put my blouse on. Slipped my capris off and folded them and laid them on my shirt on the railing. Put my slip on and readjusted my skirt over it. Then slipped my dressy sandals on and I was ready to go! Did you get all of that as a visual! :) Then we headed back to the church, which is about 5 minutes away from the cabin.

We slipped in the back door of the church near the fellowship hall so we could use the restrooms before entering the auditorium. We slipped into a back pew so we wouldn't disturb the preaching that had already started. At 3 they broke for a snack before the second preacher would begin. Then at 4 we were released until 5 when we would meet for the evening meal. We got a key and headed back to the cabin to unload the car. Also, Tim had to change clothes again because he learned he was scheduled to preach that evening instead of Tuesday evening like he thought he was scheduled for.

The rest of the time we were there went alot smoother than it started out, lol! The only other problem was that I had a rough night in the bed, which was comfortable enough.....it just wasn't home. You know how that goes! Sometimes your own pillow just isn't enough to help you sleep in a strange bed!

On Tuesday, we got up in time for Tim to join the preachers in prayer at 7. Then he came back to get me for breakfast at 8. The preaching started at 9. At 12 we broke for lunch. After lunch, we were free until the 5 o'clock meal. So, we headed back to the cabin. Tim changed clothes, I just changed into my flip flops and we walked down to the Greenbriar River that the cabin property is on. That's when I took the butterfly pictures below.

I tried to take a nap the rest of the afternoon, but just couldn't catch but a few winks. But I guess the rest helped, cuz I was able to stay awake and was more alert through the evening preaching than I was during the morning preaching! After the evening services on Tuesday we headed on back to NC so we would be here for the Wednesday services. It was about 12:15 a.m. when we got home. And I slept like a LOG!

Wednesday, I worked on VBS stuff all afternoon. I just straightened up our painting mess and fixed the tables and chairs for the dinner we are going to have this Sunday for one of the girls who is going to Grenada in the West Indies for her veterinary studies for 3 years! Doesn't that sound wonderful!

Today, we did our usual thrift store shopping and picked up some fish for my little tank.

Here's some pictures from the week with explanations posted above them.



Banner at the conference. Too dark because I took the picture from the back of the auditorium.

This was totally gross as these butterfly were doing something with this pile of animal droppings! Surely that isn't why the butterflies are so pretty! YUCK!!
This is the teeny tiny fish tank I got at the thrift store last week. This week we saw a 10 gallon one with a stand for $15! Doesn't that figure!
And, here's my 3 Neon Tetras that we got today. And you can see the pink coral decoration that I got today, too.
Here's a clearer picture. Notice how the Tetra furthest to the right of the picture is rounder than the other two? Well, when I noticed this, I told Tim I thought that I had a pregnant Tetra. But, in reading about breeding Tetras, they need special conditions to breed, none of which they had in the pet store. But, the females are rounder than the males, so I believe I have 2 males and a female. I love their coloring!

And that's my story and I'm sticking with it! Until next time!

4 comments:

jessicaday said...

I love your fish, and I know the kids will too! :-)
I LOVED that story of you changing your clothes. Not only could I picture it, but I could even see the part you left out - your face being red and giggling the whole time. Lol!! I love you, Mom.

Elisabeth said...

so you were in WV again and didn't even tell me about it?! I have a couple of those fish and they aren't that fat, and the 2 I had that died didn't look like that. I still think it could be pregnant! You'll have to take me where ever you are finding all these fish tanks and stuff! I need a couple heaters for our tanks. can't wait to see you in a few days!

Kimberly Pitman said...

Oh my! The visions in my head! :)

Anonymous said...

I could see that "deck change" in my head!!!! That is too funny!!!!