Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need of further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, The Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, that so I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, "Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away." Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wondered so long. In Jesus' name. Amen
Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

Sunday, July 18, 2010

My Rear is NUMB!

We left at 10:30 on Saturday morning and headed to Marlinton, WV. The traffic was bumper to bumper and we drove 2 1/2 hours in the distance that normally would have taken an hour! Finally, when we got to Wytheville, VA, some of the traffic split off to I-81, plus the highway now had 3 lanes, so the drive was pretty smooth sailing from there. We arrived at the "hotel" at about 4:30 or so, I believe. I say "hotel" loosely, because it wasn't actually a hotel. We stayed above the Appalachian Sports store where fishermen and skiers stay. But the quarters were very clean and comfortable!

Cochran's Creek Baptist Church was 20 minutes south of here, which we passed on the way in to Marlinton via Rte. 92. We are talking in the mountains! Snowshoe Mountain was not far from here. Watoga State Park was not far from here. We were in the middle of the Monontahela Forest. The church was back off the road in the woods in a clearing. I wish I had taken my camera so I could take a picture. The church auditorium was packed for their homecoming services today. Services started at 10 a.m. with singing from different groups and people. No SS classes this morning. Only singing. Good Southern Gospel type of singing. By the time all the singing was done and Tim preached, it was 1 p.m. There is a separate building for the fellowship hall and there is an apartment above the fellowship hall for visiting preachers/missionaries to stay. The meal was delicious, as all pot lucks are! :)

Bro. Frame wants Tim to come back in the fall and hold Revival services. He was talking about September, but Tim told him that he was already scheduled to preach at Addyston Baptist Church's homecoming in September, so Bro. Frame said we would look at doing it in October then. Tim doesn't like being away from Hillcrest on Sundays more than he just has to be. I'm telling you, he has been invited to preach away more since we have been here in NC more than the whole time we were in WV! I'm thankful the LORD is giving him the opportunities!

OK, now for the pictures from our trip.

This first picture is just to give you an idea of the trek we had to make up and down the stairs with our luggage!
Here is the back of the store and the decking for the 5 (?) "apartments" that the store rents to people. Bet this would be a beautiful view in the fall!
From the door, looking through to the bedroom which had 2 queen size beds and a queen air mattress standing against the wall. A dining room table. The bathroom being between the bedroom and kitchen. Everything was nice and clean.
Nice kitchen area and living area. One of the ladies from the church brought a fruit basket, coffee fixings, glazed donuts and sausage biscuits and oj for breakfast this morning, most of which we brought home with us.
If I look tired, it is because I was! I did not sleep much last night! You know how that goes!
I liked this bear greeting everyone! There was another bear carving at the Greenbrier Grill where we ate our dinner last night (across the street). I meant to get a picture of it this morning. That was a momma bear and had a fish carved into its mouth with a baby bear standing between her legs. Cute! This must be the daddy. :)

We were in LOTS of rain yesterday on the way up and it rained again on the way back today. I'll bet the lady sitting on the back of the motorcycle in this picture was not a happy camper! :) Can you imagine how nasty of a ride that would be? YUCK!
And, that was our weekend!

4 comments:

Elisabeth said...

I can't believe it! All those places you talked about are by Williams River where Brad and I have been going! We wanted to eat at the Greenbrier Grill. It is a beautiful area!

Vicky said...

Yeah, I realized that when I looked at the map! I thought it was Cranberry River, though, where you were going.

jessicaday said...

It's so pretty out there! Do they have any lakes nearby? That's the only way I could get Michael out there. :-)

Vicky said...

The Greenbrier River is in this area.