Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need of further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, The Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, that so I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, "Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away." Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wondered so long. In Jesus' name. Amen
Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

Thursday, January 17, 2019

Can You Identify This?

Wednesday was a day of adventure for me!  A thrifting adventure!  And I need your help identifying one of the items I bought, but let me tell you about my day first.

The very first thing I absolutely HAD to do was go to the grocery store.  So I headed out pretty early, stopping at McDonald's for breakfast on the way.  After I ate I went to Food Lion for the groceries.  I got through my list quicker than I usually do.  I'm finally learning my way around in there.  I didn't shop regularly at Food Lion until Mark and I married.  I used to do most of my shopping at Walmart or Aldi because they were "just up the street."  Not so much so now.  Food Lion is the one that is "just up the street" now.

Anyway, I needed to buy meats, especially, and Mark needed fruit and snacks and coffee for work, so I took those items to him when I finished shopping.  That was around 10:30.  I took the other groceries home and put them away and headed out to do some thrifting.  I had to at least make a drop-off to Goodwill.  I had not been to High Point in awhile, so I headed in that direction.  I had a goal in mind.......to find some more items for this wall......

This is the wall that separates the kitchen area from the dining room area.  The kitchen is to the right of the picture and I am standing in the dining room to take the picture and the living room is to the left of the picture.

The Adventure Begins

My first stop was the HOP Shop Thrift on Eastchester Rd.  I found tons of goodies there!

The second stop was supposed to be a new-to-me vintage and thrift shop, but I messed up the address and ended up at the Salvation Army store on South Main Street.  I had not intended to go there today because it isn't my favorite store.  BUT, I thought to myself, I've ended up here for some reason, so I went in.  Low and behold, all of their Bric a Brac was on sale 50% off!  I found lots of goodies there, too, when I usually find ZERO!  CHA CHING!

The third stop was at a Goodwill store I had never been to that was not too far from the Salvation Army store.  I found several items there, too.

By that time it was 2:30 and I decided I better head towards the house.  I needed gas, so I decided to go to Thomasville because the last time I filled up I paid $1.93/gallon in Thomasville.  Well, not so today.  They were higher than here.  So I decided to wait on the gas til I got home.  BUT, since I was already in Thomasville I decided to go to the Goodwill there.  I think I found a few items there, too.

I sent Mark a text to let him know that I was going to stop at Burger King on the way home because I had not eaten lunch yet.  I asked him if he was interested (dumb question, lol).  So, I used a coupon to get a "Family Bundle" which was 3 Whoppers, 3 cheeseburgers and 3 small fries for $12.99.  Mark was picking his grandson, Jaxon, up from daycare after work, so I knew one of the cheeseburgers and fries would work for him.  I ate my whopper on the way home.

I pulled in just a few minutes before Mark got home.  So we unloaded the car and Mark and Jaxon ate.

It was a beautiful day today.  52 degrees this afternoon.  I wore a headband that covered my ears and a sweatshirt for warmth and actually got a little hot in a couple of the stores.  The sunshine was so pretty today!  Even still, we have standing water in the back yard (to the right of the picture is where it pools and under my building).

Your Assistance, Please

So, now I will show you some pictures of my goodies today.  The first one is the one I need your help with.  I found it at Goodwill.  It is made of very light wood, perhaps balsa, and is covered with embossed brass strips along the outer edges and some sort of  embossed material or something on the outer center.  I did a Google search, but came up with noting.  Here are four different views of the heart-shaped box/purse thingy:
Outside.  The dark strips are the embossed brass strips.


End view

Inside view.  It looks like someone stained or paint-washed the ends and insides.

Other Wooden Containers Found

I will use some of these for craft tool storage, like paint brushes, scissors, exacto knives, etc.  The plain box (maybe a cigar box) I plan to stencil the inside (bottom of the box) with a quote and hang it up to use as a shelf and paint the lid and stencil another quote on it to hang.
Love the way this one is decorated.

This is the cigar box (?) that I will stencil and decorate to make 2 items out of.

Craft tool storage box

Interesting Pieces

I got these just because they were different and I liked them.  I thought they would be interesting on the wall.
A block of wood with this carving in it.

Not sure if this is a tray or what.  It seems to be made of a light wood like balsa and antiqued with a metallic paint finish.

This is the back of the tray, also antiqued and metallic paint

FAITH

I found several plaques about Faith today.  I only bought these 3.


Framed Art Work

I may use these as is, or put something else in them.
Love wild flowers and I really liked the frame, too.

I liked the frame more than the picture of the fishing lure, but I sort of like it, too.

This is a pretty small frame for a small spot on the wall, but I will probably replace the stitched piece with a quote.

This is a Victorian print, but I'm more interested in the frame, using the back of it .......

......using the back of it like a shadow box

Miscellaneous Items

I got these items because I liked the shape, or I saw potential for transformation, or just because.
3"x5" hand painted stretched canvas

Metal shelf

I have several of these 3-dimensional flower casts.

Daffodils

Canvas art

This is a glass frame

Frame

This is a little black shelf that holds two 3"x4" pictures with 3 pegs for hanging whatever.

I liked this little trio of bird houses and the way they are painted.  View 1

View 2

View 3

Miscellaneous frames and vases.  I liked the black vase, which I think is wooden.  The other vase is metal and looks to be oxidized silver.

This old wooden coaster box has potential to be used alone as a craft tool storage and/or repurpose the coasters as individual quotes or pictures, etc.

The green and white is like a tiered letter box.  There are 2 scarves and a small glass cutting board.
So, there you have it!  My adventure and the goodies obtained on the adventure!  I may have to take Ilene back to High Point with me tomorrow to find the vintage and thrift shop!  But first I MUST do some work on the house!  OY VEY!

Please let me know if you have any ideas about the heart-shaped "box."  It would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You, Lord, for a fun day!

No comments: