Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need of further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, The Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, that so I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, "Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away." Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wondered so long. In Jesus' name. Amen
Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

Sunday, August 25, 2019

Nostalgia

I don't think you should live in the past, but it is nice to pay a visit there now and then.  The visit brings back good and bad memories.  Today's nostalgic photos brings back both kinds of memories.

Do you remember way back when you got your learner's permit for driving?  It was 1973 for me.  I was 17 years old and had graduated from high school.  Even though I took driver's ed in school dad sent me to driving school because he couldn't handle the practice driving with me, LOL!  He was white-knuckled every time he got in the passenger seat!  And I'm a good driver!  I've never gotten a ticket.....even though I have been guilty of speeding.  I've never had an accident.....even though I've had a few close calls.  I thank the Lord for His protection!

And, now, 46 years later, my oldest granddaughter has her learner's permit!  Hannah took lessons earlier this year but had to wait until she turned 15 to get her permit.  She turned 15 on August 17th.  What happened to the babe in arms?

Hannah and me in 2006

A proud Hannah with her permit on Aug. 23, 2019


Eighteen years ago, Mark's step son, Michael, blew up the motor to Mark's truck, so he bought a 1979 Ford F100; back then they were called Explorers (with AC).  It ran, but not very well.  It was another "project" for fixing that Mark just didn't have time for.  He wasn't planning on selling it, but someone confronted him about buying it.  He gave him a price, take it or leave it, because it had new tires and a bit of sentimental value.  The guy took it!  Today was the day and Mark was feeling a little nostalgic as the guy pulled it off the property.

Hard to see her under the trees behind the white shed.....

Pulling out.....

There she goes!

And here she is at her new home.

So, we saw a couple of decades slip through our hands this week and gone forever, except for the memories!  And that's the way life is.  Here today, gone tomorrow, except for the memories; some of them good and some of them bad.  We must leave the past behind and move forward, pressing toward the mark for the prize of the high (upward) call of Christ!

That makes me think of this old hymn by Jim Reeves:

This world is not my home, I'm just a passing through
My treasures are laid up somewhere beyond the blue
The angels beckon me from heaven's open door
And I can't feel at home in this world anymore.

Oh, Lord, you know I have no friend like you
If heaven's not my home then Lord what will I do
The angels beckon me from heaven's open door
And I can't feel at home in this world anymore.

Thank You, LORD, for the treasures that are laid up in heaven for us, You being the most precious one of all!


No comments: