Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need of further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, The Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, that so I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, "Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away." Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wondered so long. In Jesus' name. Amen
Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

Saturday, December 12, 2009

December 12, 2009

I don't mind telling you that today was a very moving and emotionally draining day! I absolutely HATE going to funerals! I ALWAYS cry, even when I don't know the people! This funeral was back up in WV, about a 3 1/2 hour trip from our home in NC. We had 2 of the former pastor's daughters with us. They were at the deceased's house LOTS when they lived in WV for about 10 years back in the late 50's to mid to late 60's. One of this man's daughters is a member of our church. The funeral was at 1:00. We left at 7:30 figuring this would give us plenty of time to stop and eat lunch and in the event of any flat tires, stopping for potty and gas, etc. Well, it was really to early to eat when we got to Princeton, WV. So, we drove on into Rainelle, WV where the funeral was. We got there at 10:45! So, we had more than 2 hours to kill! Well, we went to Pizza Hut (the doors were not even open til 11!). We were there for a little over an hour and then left for the funeral home. And, so the emotions begin! The text in my layout reads as follows:

Today a soldier was laid to rest. Yes, it is true. He was a Marine, at one time in his earthly life. But, more than an eartly soldier, he was a soldier in the Army of the LORD! He fought many, many battles. But, they were not all battles of an earthly, military nature; they were far more dangerous. These battles were fought with an unseen force. I am speaking of the battles we, as Christians, fight every day of our lives, with the devil and his demons of hell! Their one sole purpose is to destroy their enemy, the One, True and Living, Almighty God of heaven. But, no matter how hard they try, they will never be able to do it! And, no matter how many battles they win against our human flesh, they will never be able to steal us from the protecting hand of our Father God in heaven! Praise Ye the LORD! (John 10:27-30)

The enemy that defeated this soldier that was laid to rest today was cancer. What an awful enemy to mankind! The service at the grave today was very moving, especially when the military salute began with roll call of the men. When his name was called once, then twice and then very quietly the third time, with no, “Here, Sir!” to be heard in response to the call, the helmet was placed on the gun and then you heard the low, slow sound of taps being played. WOW! Tears and sobs were heard from many! But, alas! The victory over death has been won! This soldier closed his eyes in death on December 8, 2009 and within a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, he was awakened to a new day in that celestial city, whose builder and maker is God and he bowed before the throne of heaven, praising and thanking God, his Savior, for choosing him to live eternally with Him in heaven! WOW!

Credits:
Barb Speck, Dusk to Dawn the kit
Font: Apple Butter

No comments: