Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need of further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, The Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, that so I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, "Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away." Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wondered so long. In Jesus' name. Amen
Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Can you say, "Senior Moment?"

Well, today has been one of those days! I'm certainly glad I don't have many like today! It wasn't a BAD day, it was just ALL wrong! And, here's the rest of the story...

We have had plans for our granddaughter, Kara Bear, to spend the weekend with us this month for a month or so now. So the plan was that Tim and I would meet Jessica and Kara half way. So earlier this week Jessica and I finalized the plans as to where we would meet and at what time.

Since it is a 3 hour trip to the meeting place, I worked for several hours last night printing out Photoshop tutorials so I could play on the laptop on the trip today. Yesterday I swept and mopped floors because I knew Kara and I would be playing in the floor.

Tim got up at 6 am, got his shower then I got up and took my shower and finished packing the cooler with drinks, including a sippy cup of milk for Kara. I packed some granola snacks for Tim and I and fixed some peanut butter crackers and chex mix snack and dried cranberries for Kara. I figured Jessica would have snacks for her, but packed them just in case. You know how moms are! (and I am still a mom, even if a bit older! :)

We left the house at 8:30. About 5 miles up the road when I started unpacking the laptop and accessories to play, I realized I had left ALL the tutorials on my computer desk! NOT a good way to start off the day! So, I messed around a little bit in Photoshop and quickly realized I needed the tutorials! So, I just packed up the laptop and accessories back in the computer bag and read my Sunday School lesson. At least I had not forgotten to bring the 3 new books and pocket note pad and crayons for Kara! After finishing the Sunday School lesson, I just enjoyed the beautiful day of sunshine! We made a potty stop about half way there.

At about 11:40, we reached our exit. "Monica" took us to an address that was NOT Ruby Tuesday! The direction she took us was different that what I had pictured on the little google map I had with me. So, we headed back in the opposite direction from where Monica had taken us and just kept driving and looking until we ended up what seemed to be several miles down the road. Anyway, we finally found Ruby Tuesday and it was about 4 minutes til 12, which was our scheduled meeting time with Jessica. We knew she would have the same trouble, so we waited in the parking lot for her.....and we waited.....and we waited.....and we waited. We knew it would be unlike Jessica to travel without a phone so she could call, so she must be in trouble! We called Jessica's house, why, I don't know. We called Michael's cell, but he wouldn't see the message until he got out of work at 2. So we didn't have any other numbers. We waited some more. At 12:30 we decided to go on in and eat lunch and hoped she would soon show up. We finished eating around 1:10. Still no Jessica and Kara. We are really starting to get worried now! We sat in the parking lot for a bit longer. Then I suggested we drive back up towards the exit and look around in the gas stations to see if we see them waiting on us. Nothing. We parked the car and I called Michael the 2nd time and told him we had not heard from Jessica and we were afraid something was wrong. Then I called Liz to see if she possibly had Jessica's cell phone number. The first think she said was, "You are doing that today?" I didn't think anything about the comment. Liz did not have a cell phone number for Jessica. Liz suggested I call Jessica (our dd) as she might have the number since she had just made a trip to MD in November. She did not have it. Jessica also said that Jessica D had not mentioned on her facebook about coming to meet us today. I said she was just probably busy getting Kara ready to leave. So she said she would do some more searching and see what she could find and call me back. In the meantime, Tim and I sat and waited some more. Then Tim said, we really should wait at Ruby Tuesday in case she shows up there. So we went back to Ruby Tuesday and waited some more!

I don't remember what time it was, but finally we got a phone call from Jessica. First words out of her mouth were, "I'm fine, but I'm so sorry you are there waiting! It's not til next week that you are to pick up Kara! I hope you aren't mad at me!" I just had to LAUGHOUTLOUD! I was just so relieved to hear that she was OK that I didn't care about anything else! But I told her there was nothing for her to be sorry about since it was my fault! I told her to call Michael before he got my second message and immediately began to panic!

What can I say?! We asked Monica for directions to 2 Goodwill stores on the way home, both turned up zero, so we gave up and decided today was just one of those days and headed for home!

While I was talking to Jessica I told her one thing about all of this was that it made me realize that I needed her cell phone number and I wanted to know what car she would be driving next week. They also provided Michael's work number. And we will all be laughing about it years from now!

Now you know THE REST OF THE STORY! And tomorrow is a new day! Blessings of the day.....Jessica and Kara are safe, we made it back home safe, God is Good!

Oh, and Tim says he isn't making the trip with me next week! Imagine that! :)

4 comments:

jessicaday said...

I still can't believe that happened! When Jessica calling saying "Where are you?! Mom and Dad are worried sick." I began stammering and my voice went up several octaves. "I know it's supposed to be next week! I know it!" I am so sorry I was so hard to reach yesterday and that I worried everyone.
My favorite part of your story is how you remembered everything and then some for Kara, but forgot your stuff. That's definitely a mom thing to do. What a sweet Grandma!
I love you!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! Way too funny!!!! Not really, but....it is funny.

jessicaday said...

Yeah, it'll be funny later! :-)

Kimberly Pitman said...

Oh, my! Yes, I've had senior moments. I'll do my best to NEVER top this one, though. (Although there is the story about me showing up for my family reunion a week early last summer. But that doesn't count because I only had to drive across town. :) )

Just think! You get to do it all again next week!