Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need of further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, The Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, that so I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, "Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away." Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wondered so long. In Jesus' name. Amen
Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

Monday, August 28, 2017

Farther Along We'll Understand Why

It still doesn't seem real that you are not here.  That thought is always with me, whether I am out and about or whether I am here or at church.  Our lives were so entwined together, especially this year when you were really beginning to get sick.  We hardly left one another's side as you became more dependent on me to help you.  My motherly instincts kicked in again!  And, at times, I know you were aggravated with me always prodding you to drink more or eat something.....anything!

Up until this year there were few times you were sick enough that you had to miss church.  What a blessing that was!  Not only for you, but for the church family and especially for me!  The Lord knew I could not handle you being sick, yet.  But, I still wasn't ready for it when it finally happened.  I didn't understand why you seemed to be getting better after your brain surgery.  You lost the double vision!  Your strength was returning!  You were walking without the aid of a walker or me.  You were studying and preaching again.

And then our world collapsed around us.  Why?  I didn't understand why it happened and happened so quickly!  But, I think I do now.  It was a blessing for everyone that you didn't suffer for long!  Our prayer was for you to be healed, we just didn't know that it was not going to be here.  And it was going to happen in heaven a LOT sooner than we wanted or expected.  Yes, it was a blessing that the Lord took you quickly, even though it was hard on our flesh!  We were not ready to lose you!  Actually, we would never be ready to lose you!

It is always best to "trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding."  Proverbs 3:5  He will help us to understand it all by and by!  Thank You, Father, for healing Tim of the menacing melanoma.  Now I ask that you heal our hearts as only You can!  We will never get over the missing our Tim, but will You please get us over the hurt!  My heart hurts.  It aches for loving and missing my life's partner.  Thank You for Your grace and mercy and compassion and faithfulness You show to me every day!

Lamentations 3:22, 23
22 It is of the LORD'S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.
23 They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.

Farther Along

Tempted and tried, we’re oft made to wonder
Why it should be thus all the day long;
While there are others living about us,
Never molested, though in the wrong.

Refrain:
Farther along we’ll know more about it,
Farther along we’ll understand why;
Cheer up, my brother, live in the sunshine,
We’ll understand it all by and by.

Sometimes I wonder why I must suffer,
Go in the rain, the cold, and the snow,
When there are many living in comfort,
Giving no heed to all I can do.

Tempted and tried, how often we question
Why we must suffer year after year,
Being accused by those of our loved ones,
E’en though we’ve walked in God’s holy fear.

Often when death has taken our loved ones,
Leaving our home so lone and so drear,
Then do we wonder why others prosper,
Living so wicked year after year.

“Faithful till death,” saith our loving Master;
Short is our time to labor and wait;
Then will our toiling seem to be nothing,
When we shall pass the heavenly gate.

Soon we will see our dear, loving Savior,
Hear the last trumpet sound through the sky;
Then we will meet those gone on before us,
Then we shall know and understand why.

(There are contradictory claims for the authorship of this song. The words and music are frequently attributed to W. B. Stevens, although others have attributed the words to W. A. Fletcher.  I do not recall most of the verses shown here, either.)


No comments: