Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need of further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, The Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, that so I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, "Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away." Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wondered so long. In Jesus' name. Amen
Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Good Memories Re-visited

We have had a busy day today. Our goal was to leave Buffalo, WV at 9 a.m. We actually beat that schedule by 15 minutes! We traveled north on 62 to Pt. Pleasant, WV and cross the river at Gallipolis, OH and followed Rt. 35 to Rt. 32, which turns West towards Cincinnati. One of the MUST DO activities for us when we are in Ohio is to eat at Skyline Chili. So, guess what we ate for lunch? We arrived in Batavia, OH around 11:30 a.m. and our meal was delicious! From there we headed to The Museum Center in Cincinnati. By the time we got parked, bought our tickets, it was a few minutes after 1 p.m. when we sat down in the OmniMax theater to see the Great Lakes showing. I always enjoy the surround sound theaters, however, I ALWAYS get a headache from the LOUDNESS and the motion, I guess. Today was no exception! And by 4:00 I was about sick! I should not have let it go that long, but I was "hoping" it would just go away! I should know better! So, when we went into the Natural History museum, I sat down on a bench to wait for everyone else. But, I ended up telling them I was going to the car to get some medicine and for them to take their time. They were basically done by this time and just wanted to go into the shops before coming to the car. I popped 3 excedrine migraines and laid my seat back and kicked the air conditioner on. Everyone was back at the car in no time. We then headed to Tim's mom's house in Covington, KY about 20 minutes away, if that far. We talked for a bit and then headed to our other favorite place to eat when we are in Ohio/Kentucky.....Frischs Big Boys!

Since we had not checked into the hotel yet, we dropped Tim's mom off and headed to the hotel. I popped 2 more excedrines and hit the bed. While Liz and family were swimming, I decided to try a hot, steamy shower, hoping it would open something up in my head, lol! Well, it did help a bit, or else the 5 excedrines finally decided to kick in somewhat! But the headache still is not totally gone! Hopefully it will be gone by morning! If not, tomorrow is gonna be a looooooong day! So, please start praying for me now! :)

OK, here is my good memory re-visited from the picture I posted day before yesterday. If you guessed that the picture was of a baby changing table, you were correct! My good memory from this starts with the fact that I had one of these when the kids were babies. I'm sure I still had it through Nathanael! I had gotten it at a yard sale! I don't remember seeing once since them until I saw this one at the Carolina Thrift Store this past Thursday. This one is actually made sturdier than the one I had. For one thing, the top of this one was basically a wooden box on top with padding whereas mine was not enclosed on top. It was just a board with foam and a nylon protective cover and a belt to strap baby on. But, it opened out the same as seen in the picture below. This one's "baskets" below the changing table were also sturdier than the one I had. But, I guess since mine lasted through 4 kids, it was sturdy enough! :)

So, here is the story I have that I will NEVER forget about my changing table.

Tim and I lived in a trailer on his dad's property in Hebron, KY from 1978 to 1983. Jessica was born in January, 1980. There were 2 bedrooms. The "master" bedroom was the biggest one of course, and belonged to Tim and I. So, the other bedroom became the nursery.....a very small nursery, I might add! Not much room for more than the crib, a small dresser of drawers and the changing table. One day when changing Jessica's diaper (cloth, I might add) I had to get something to complete the job (I have no idea what it was). So I strapped her in and I remember running to get whatever it was that I needed because I didn't want to be gone with her on that table for very long. I really wasn't worried about her falling off and the changing table was sandwiched in between the wall and the dresser, so I knew it wasn't going anywhere. Well, in the short time I was gone, Jessica had managed to somehow wiggle herself out of the belt and had slipped down in between the changing table and the dresser! And she was hanging upside down! I just about had a heart attack! Thank the Lord she had not hit the floor! She was not crying or anything! But, it freaked me out! Needless to say I NEVER left her on the changing table again!

And now that I am remembering that, you know what else she used to be able to do? Of course the car seats back then were NOTHING like they are now, nor were the rules and regulations what they are now (thank GOD they have been changed!) and she used to wiggle herself out of the car seat and end up in the seat of the car! That's when I started turning the car seat around to face the back of the seat before it was even made a law to do so! I don't know how Jessica survived! :)

Can't wait to see you tomorrow, Jessica! :) I love you very much!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Just catching up on blogs since I have been overwhelmed all week and I find that I was treated like a bag of potatoes when I was a baby! :) You were cracking me up with those stories! Love you!

Judith said...

Great story, V! I managed to let my son slide down between the bed and wall one morning. There he was, wedged in, nice & snug, sucking his thumb! How did our kids ever survive?? LOL. Thanks for sharing :)
~J

Anonymous said...

That's what I guessed! A changing table! I tried to post that, but it wouldn't let me!

Kimberly Pitman said...

There wasn't a carseat made that could hold our Lisa. And if you remember, by 1983 they were a lot sturdier and there were more rules than in those early years. I even remember having to take it in the hospital for inspection before they'd release her into our care!

Anyway, I often looked back to see Lisa running around in the backseat. I have NO IDEA how she got out of a 5-point harness system, but she did! She also walked by the time she was 9 months old so you can see why I'm short a few braincells (and I really miss them at this stage of my life!).