Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need of further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, The Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, that so I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, "Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away." Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wondered so long. In Jesus' name. Amen
Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Happy Birthday to Elisabeth

I'm late getting this posted, but at least I called Liz and wished her a happy birthday earlier today while Tim and I were out and about.

Where do I begin with my birth story for Elisabeth...............Hmmmmmm.........

I guess I'll start with the worries of being pregnant for the 3rd time! I had to go back to work when Michael was 6 weeks old because Tim had been asked to leave his GREAT paying management job with the Kroger company. This was because Tim was not going to be a Kroger manager for the rest of his career. He had been called to preach in 1978 and Kroger was just a good paying job with great medical benefits and paid for his seminary. And the best part of the job was that I was able to stay home with Jessica and Michael. Things were very tight, but we skimped by!

Well, when Tim was asked to leave Kroger since that was not going to be his lifetime career, I had to go back to work to help pay the bills. I don't remember whether Tim was working at Radio Shack or Landmark Christian Schools, but wherever it was, it was about half what he made at Kroger. I had quit working one stock brokerage firm when I had Jessica, so I got back on with another stock brokerage firm, Merrill Lynch. So, between the 2 of us working, we did OK. I was fortunate that mom could watch Jessica and Michael for me every day. But I sure hated the journey each day traveling the half hour to her house and then the 45 minutes to downtown Cincinnati. WHEW! I don't miss those days!

Michael was around 18 months old when I found out I was pregnant with Elisabeth. WOW! We were not prepared for a third baby. I was doing the basal thermometer birth control method, but something had gone wrong! Actually, something had gone right (GOD) and we just hadn't realized it yet! I remember sitting at that dinky little kitchen table in the trailer with Tim one morning and crying because I was sure I was pregnant and how on earth were we going to afford another baby! And at that very moment, I couldn't be happy for this third pregnancy.

But, in no time at all, while I was getting used to the idea of another baby, God was working His plan. And by June, 1983 we were moved to Cleves, Ohio so Tim could be the Assistant to the Pastor at Addyston Baptist Church, just down the road about 5 miles. Our first Sunday was either June 5th or 12th because I remember that Michael turned 2 either right after we started or right before, but what difference does a week make in God's grand scheme! And, an added blessing was that, once again I was going to be able to be a SAHM! Praise the LORD! I continued to work the last 3 months of my pregnancy, I think.

Now, I was getting really excited for our new "baby boy." The Lord had eased my worry of how we would afford another baby! He is such an AWESOME GOD, isn't He?! I guess I was in so much turmoil over being pregnant again that I have really forgotten alot of the details of this pregnancy and delivery, lol! I do not remember that we had a boy's name picked out (it was probably Nathanael Charles) but I believe on the way to the hospital we picked out a girls name, which is what our "baby boy" turned out to be, as the BIRTHDAY GIRL and you all know quite well! :) You would think that the doctor would have learned by now that I have big babies and it didn't hold true that just because they were big that they were boys! Case in point.......Jessica was a pound bigger than Michael!

OK, let's quickly move from June to September. Elisabeth was due September 20th. Well, on Labor Day, September 5th, I was having mild contractions. They were fairly close together, but not regular. Finally they disappeared. Now, for some reason, I'm thinking that maybe I had quit work the end of August for vacation and maternity leave pay, but I'm not sure about this. But, I do remember being at home.

Little did I know that the false labor on Monday was just preparing me for the real labor that came that Friday! I believe Elisabeth woke me up in the middle of the night because I believe she was born around 1 a.m. but I don't have the certificate, so Liz will need to confirm that.

Anyway, I had kept going to my OB since I only had 3 months left when we moved, which meant we would have to drive to Covington, KY to St. Elizabeth South Hospital. I guess we dropped Michael and Jessica off to Virginia Beck's house when we headed out for the hopsital. And, let me tell you what a ride that was! Here we go like a speeding bullet down Rt. 50 (which most of it was 45 mph or less, mind you)! But, knowing how quickly I delivered babies, Tim was more worried about making it to the hospital than getting a ticket..........and so was I, for sure!!! Well, the inevitable happened. We were stopped! But, as soon as the officer heard Tim's explanation, all he had to do was look at me to know he was telling the truth! So, he called for help and one police car lead and one followed as we went zooming down Rt. 50, across the Ohio River and then into Covington, KY. The police left us at the River since KY was out of their jurisdiction, obviously!

I don't remember anything after that except that the next thing I know, we have a beautiful, baby girl! Elisabeth Rose weighed 9 lb. 12 1/2 oz. I don't remember how long she was. But you could tell by looking at her that she was jaundiced. I was able to talk the doctors into bringing her home, however, instead of staying for a week! They said I could as long as I promised to let her sun bathe every day. They gave me special little goggles to put on her eyes and special little diapers. By the time I took her back a week later for her blood work, she was OK.

What a joy and a blessing Elisabeth brought to our house! She was so cute with her big blue eyes! And with us being part of the staff at church, she was a novelty to the ladies! Two ladies in particular loved to get to baby sit so they could play with her and dress her and just spoil her! But, Elisabeth never was spoiled! She was a silly little girl who tickled everyone with her antics. And she wasn't afraid of strangers! I had to keep my eyes on her because she would flirt or talk to anyone as she got older. I seem to remember that she was kind of afraid of the men who would "visit" the nursery on Sundays. They didn't need to be there anyway! But, that is another story!

So, there you have it, dear Elisabeth! To the best of my recollection, LOL, a recount of your birth. I am very proud of the godly woman you have grown to be! I thank the LORD for His guiding hand and direction in your life! I love you very much, more than I could ever express! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

You should have had more babies! Your stories keep getting better! Love you sissy; I'm glad you were born!

jessicaday said...

Yay! I love Elisabeth! What a story. The funniest part was when they told you the whole time it was a boy. I can just see your face when they said, "it's a girl!" WHAT?! Lol.... :-)

Elisabeth said...

Awww, thanks mom! I'm glad I was born too! Love you! And thanks for the card. It was great.

Kimberly Pitman said...

Such a nice story! I was going through my own "Elisabeth" experience during that time. :)

See you soon!