Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need of further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, The Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, that so I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, "Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away." Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wondered so long. In Jesus' name. Amen
Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

Tuesday, November 8, 2016

More Goodness From the Crockpot

Monday, Monday!  I tore the spare room apart getting ready for the visiting preacher coming in for Revival on Thursday.  Took the bed apart to fix the middle slat and leg that had come apart quite awhile ago.  Now the bed rocks like a teeter totter!  We know how to rock our guests to sleep!  :D  Seriously, though, I hope it is OK when someone lays in it!

I need to clean this room more often than in the Spring and Fall.  Since the spring time, the window towards the driveway has a place under the right corner where water has damaged the paneling.  I'm sure it probably happened during some of those really hard rains we had earlier in the summer.

I also found a hair brush and 2 pairs of footie socks of Hannah's under the bed.  I don't even remember when they stayed the night last!  Maybe August?

I ended up taking down the blinds because some of the slats were broken and the strings were breaking.  So, I also changed out the curtains.  Now there are chocolate light-blocking curtains in the place of the canvas/denim type that were there.  The window is 43" x 60".  The curtain panel is 54" x 63" that I put on the window.  I'm not sure I like just one panel up.  I think I will probably get another panel for each window.  They were only $7.97 which I didn't think was too bad.

The next time I tear this room apart, I think I am going to rearrange the furniture, mainly the bed because the head is situated over the heat/air vent.  I don't know if that will help the cold/hot condition of the room or not.

Do you like the curtains as one panel?  And now that I'm looking at this picture, I think the curtains might be too dark!  Oh well!
Tuesday
I got a lot accomplished today.  The first thing I did was get dinner in the crockpot.  More about that later.  After voting, I swept and dusted every room but the dining room and our bedroom.  I'll probably get those tomorrow after we get back from the pre-op doctor visits for Tim's surgery on Monday.  I also took my extension-handled duster around all the windows and corners and ceilings after the cob webs.  I took a broom to the porch and all the windows outside, too.

Next I went to the neighbor's house to help her put ointment on her back for the rash she has.  I ended up helping her with some sweeping before I came back home.  Then I spent some time on the phone taking care of some medical paperwork.  Then we ate dinner and I cleaned up the kitchen, rearranged my reading chair in the living room, baked some cookies and cleaned up some miscellaneous papers that needed separating and organized into 3-ring binders.  Now I am waiting on election results!

I moved the orange chair from the right side of the room to the left side.  That is all I did.


OK, so let's go back to the dinner meal for tonight.  "Chili Verde" is another crockpot meal from the book I got at the thrift a couple of weeks ago.  It is another keeper.  And you can vary it, too.  Here's the recipe.

Chili Verde
Although black beans are not traditional in chili verde, they make the dish a little more substantial and add texture.  Garnish with fresh cilantro and lime wedges and serve with warm tortillas.  Also, try the mixture as a burrito filling.

Makes 6 to 8 servings
Ingredients
2 lbs. lean boneless pork, cut into thin strips or 3/4" cubes
3 T. all-purpose flour
1 c. water
2 T. ground cumin
3/4 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. garlic pepper (I just added 1/4 tsp. pepper and 1/4 tsp. garlic powder)
1/2 tsp. seasoned salt (I just used Mrs. Dash)
3 medium onions, thinly sliced
2 (7 oz) cans whole green chiles, rinsed, drained, and cut into strips (I did not use these)
3/4 c. roasted red pepper strips (RATS!  I just realized I forgot to put these in.....after making an extra trip to Walmart to get them!)  GRRRRR!!
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained (optional)

Directions
1.  In a 3 1/2 quart electric slow cooker, toss the pork with the flour until evenly coated.  Stir in the water, cumin, chili powder, oregano, garlic pepper, seasoned salt, onions and half of the chile strips.  Mix well.
2.  Cover and cook on the low heat setting about 6 hours, stirring twice, if possible, or until the pork is very tender.  Increase the heat setting to high.  (I did not stir and I did not turn the heat up since mine cooked a little longer.)
3.  Stir in the remaining chile strips, the red pepper strips, and the black beans.  Cover and cook on high 20-30 minutes longer, until heated through.  (I added the beans at the beginning with everything else).

The pork coated with the flour

The mixture of spices with the water looked like mud.

Rinsing the black beans.

In the crockpot and ready to cook.

I ate mine like this.

Tim ate his like this.  Rolled up his tortilla and added the salad on top.

Well, tomorrow when we wake up we will have a different president elect.  I will be glad when it is all over!  I am praying God will be merciful to our country!  We are far from Him!  I pray another great revival happens!  I pray Christians will begin to stand up and be counted, me included!

Til tomorrow!

No comments: