Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need of further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, The Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, that so I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, "Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away." Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wondered so long. In Jesus' name. Amen
Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

Sunday, November 6, 2016

Time Change Sunday

I set the alarm for 5:00 a.m. to get up and start our lunch in the crockpot.  I actually miscalculated and turned it on an hour earlier than the recipe called for, which means I COULD have slept another hour!  Especially since I really did not go back to sleep when I went back to bed!  Oh well!  at least the meal turned out to be very tasty!

I found this cookbook at the thrift store a couple of weeks ago and a lot of the recipes sound very good.  I certainly LOVE using my crockpot!  I should use it more than I do!


At this point, I had to choose the recipe that I had the ingredients for, so I chose "Chicken Stew Mexican Style."  RATS!  I just noticed that the recipe suggests serving with plenty of warm tortillas or corn bread!  I could have made some Jiffy corn bread!  I'll have to do that for the leftovers later this week!  Here's the recipe, which I basically cut in half:

Chicken Stew Mexican Style
Makes 6 - 8 servings
Ingredients:
2 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2" pieces
4 medium russet potatoes (about 1 1/2 lbs), peeled and shredded (I cubed mine)
1 (15 oz) can mild salsa (I used medium salsa from Aldi)
1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles (I did not use)
1 (1 1/4 oz) package taco seasoning mix
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (16 oz) package frozen stringless young green beans, thawed, drained and cut into 1" lengths (I used canned, cut green beans)

Directions:
1.  In a 3 1/2 quart electric slow cooker, mix together the chicken pieces and potatoes.  In a medium bowl, stir together the salsa, chiles, and taco seasoning mix.  Pour over the chicken and potatoes and mix well; level the top.  Pour the tomato sauce over all, spreading evenly; do not mix in.
2.  Cover and cook on the low heat setting 5 1/2 to 6 hours, or until the chicken and potatoes are tender.
3.  Mix gently.  Increase the heat setting to high.  Stir in the green beans and cook, uncovered, on high 15-20 minutes, or until the beans are crisp-tender.  Serve immediately.  (I just dumped the canned green beans in, stirred, and put the lid back on and cooked for another hour on low.)

 It was pretty tasty!  The next time I fix it, I will probably use black beans and add corn for more of a South Westerly dish.

Remember the delish pork chop dinner picture I posted a couple of nights ago?  Well, since then I have had the nausea problems again and have been able to eat very little until yesterday.  Friday, I ate a banana, drank gatorade and then ate a sweet potato for dinner, which turned out to be too much.  Saturday, I only ate dinner at the Fall Festival and didn't eat all of what they fed us.  I ate my pork and a few bites of the beans and that was it.  Now, today I ate about a cup of the Chicken Stew above and was OK.  And believe it or not, I'm feeling like I should have left the pork sandwich alone!  BUT, boy!  Was it good!  :D

If you are in our area, we would LOVE to have you join us later in the week for our Fall Revival services with Brother Troy MaGahan, pastor of the Friendship Baptist Church in Appomattox, VA.  BUT, he's a Kentucky boy through and through!  A wonderful man of God!  And a GREAT preacher!  You will enjoy listening to him!
I always enjoy hostessing our visiting preachers because most of them stay with us in the guest room.  It's even better if their wife gets to come!  That doesn't happen too often, however, but I grew up around preachers because mom and dad ALWAYS entertained the visiting preachers in our home.  Mom and Dad were the kind of members I would want in our church!  TOTALLY supportive of the pastor and the ministries of the church!

OK, tomorrow, tomorrow!  Nite!

No comments: