Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need of further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, The Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, that so I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, "Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away." Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wondered so long. In Jesus' name. Amen
Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

Saturday, October 14, 2017

Family Resemblance

Do you see any family resemblance in these two?
Hannah and Elisabeth

Well, I certainly do!  They are daughter and mother, but they look like they are sisters!  This reminded me of a few things today:

In the revival service tonight, Brother Morris brought out that because we are in Christ, there should be a family resemblance!  We should walk, talk, think and act like Christ!  We should "look" like Him!  Ephesians 2:8-10 says, "8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:  9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.  10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them."  Jesus was our example of good works!

So, why don't we have more influence on the world around us?  Why are we Christians looking more and more like the world instead?  I think I found part of the answer in the passage of Scripture I was reading during my devotions today. 

Acts 14:1 uses a phrase, "and so spake" which is followed by "that a great multitude both of the Jews and also of the Greeks believed."  What does this little phrase mean?  Well, since the verse begins with "and" I believe it ties in with the last verse in chapter 13, which says, "And the disciples were filled with joy, and with the Holy Ghost."  Could it be that because the disciples were filled with joy and the Holy Ghost that this gave them a great influence on the Jews and Greeks?  Such an influence that caused the Jews and Greeks to believe?  I think so!  They had the family resemblance to Jesus because they were in Christ!  I want to have that kind of influence on the world around me!  Do you?

It seems like it should be an easy task, doesn't it?  Have the joy and love of Jesus in our lives and the world will come running!  Right?

Unfortunately, it is not right!  The words in v.1 refer to "a great multitude."  It doesn't say "everyone believed!"  Verse 2 begins with the word, "But."  "But the unbelieving Jews stirred up the Gentiles.....against the brethren."  Verse 4 says the city was "divided."  Some sided with the Jewish rebellion (which I believe were the religious leaders, and those that sided with them, who hated Jesus and had Him put to death) and some sided with the apostles.  And doesn't that sound like America today?!  Those who expect us Christians to be tolerant of everyone else, yet everyone else is totally intolerant of us Christians!  They do whatever they can to keep the pot stirred up against us!

Ultimately, it is the devil who is assaulting us (v.5) and would love to see us dead and out of his hair!  And there may come a time when we will have to flee for our lives, just like they are having to do in other parts of the world (v.6).  But, no matter where we have to flee to, we must continue to preach the gospel of salvation.

There will always be those "certain" people who will be against true Christianity (v.19).  But, we can't let them stop us from "speaking boldly in the Lord" (v.3).  We must exhort one another to "continue in the faith and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God" (v.22).

I pray that when you think about family resemblances, you will remember that we must resemble the Lord Jesus Christ because we are in Christ!  He is our example of how to live and how to have an influence on the people around us.

Lord Jesus, I pray that my life will be a living testimony to the love, mercy and grace you have bestowed upon me; even in my sins, You saved me!  Thank You!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your life is truly a testimony, Vicky!

Vicky said...

Praise the Lord, Tammy! It is only by His grace!