Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need of further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, The Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, that so I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, "Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away." Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wondered so long. In Jesus' name. Amen
Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

Monday, October 19, 2009

October 19, 2009

The story on the layout is only a part (the clean part) of the total story. We received a package in the mail from someone (I'm not going to mention any names because I do not want any undo embarrassment put upon them) that was filled with these chestnuts. In the package were instructions on how to toast them in the oven. We received them on Saturday, Oct. 17th. Since we had just gotten back from being gone all last week, I was busy doing laundry, etc. and didn't take the time on Saturday or Sunday to mess with them. So I just left the opened box on the kitchen counter.

Today, as I was cleaning up the kitchen I moved the box to wash the counter off. Well, to my disgust there was a little white mag....... (I can't even bear to say the word!) under the box. I was confused as to how in the world it got there especially since there was no food around anywhere and I hadn't seen a fly in the house for quite sometime. So I killed it with a shiver going down my spine (as I shiver now just thinking about it!) and that was the last I thought of it.....for a few minutes.

I got a pan to spread the chestnuts out in to get them ready to roast in the oven. After getting them spread out in a single layer, I sat at the dining room table to make my "X" in the shell so the chestnut wouldn't explode in the oven. No too long into the job, I saw another mag......! Well this was just too much! I had noticed a couple of the chestnuts had little round holes in their shells, but they were such small holes that I didn't think this mag....... could get in or out of it, but I was still leery! I finished marking my "X's" (which took over an hour to do) and put the chestnuts in the oven. I took them out when they were done and set them aside to cool.

Later in the afternoon I decided to go ahead and crack them all to get them ready for the freezer. Well, what I discovered upon cracking the shells were very dark looking nuts. Several were rotten. When I broke the nuts to have a look inside, I discovered immature mag..... embedded into most of the nuts! YIKES! The WHOLE batch went into the trash, as much as I hated to do it after spending all that time on them! Tim and I had tasted of one that was not dark but we didn't think they tasted all that great, so I am soooooo praying that nothing was embedded in that one! No more chestnuts for me, thank you very much!

Credits:
Vicky Day, Lord of the Harvest kit
Font: Andy

4 comments:

Elisabeth said...

that is so gross! When I worked at the animal hosp we had several maggot cases where an outside dog or cat with an open wound had to have them picked out of him!!

Vicky said...

That is so gross, Liz! Made me shiver to think of it!

Anonymous said...

OH - MY - GOSH!!! I HATE those things!!! The story I have is...we used to put our trash in the garage until trash day. Just the bags sitting there. Well...one day I walked out there and the bag was "shivering". I thought, "what in the world?" Peeked in the bag and it was FULL of "them". AAAHHH!!!!!! After getting rid of that problem, I went the next day and spent $80 on a big trash can with a lid!!!!! Tim said "what?!?!?!?" I said I don't care how much it costs I will NEVER do that again!!!!!!!!!!

Kimberly Pitman said...

Yuck! And here I was all set to read about a wonderful "chestnuts roasting on an open fire" story so that I could ask how to do it. Just as you are not familiar with the taste of pomegranates, I am not familiar with roasted chestnuts. Looks like we could both expand our tastes a bit SANS the gruesome mags, off course!