Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need of further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, The Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, that so I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, "Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away." Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wondered so long. In Jesus' name. Amen
Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

Monday, September 23, 2019

Junk Food

Our spiritual lives can be compared to our physical lives.  That little snack of potato chips to hold us over until the real meal does not satisfy.  Or, how many times have I grabbed that bag of chips at night for "just a few," only to end up eating the entire bag?!!  More times than I care to admit!  That is not the kind of nourishment our bodies need to stay strong and healthy.  It's junk food!  JUNK!

Spiritually speaking, Jesus said in John 6:35, "I am the bread of life.  He who comes to Me shall never hunger."  When our spirits have been re-born we crave the nourishment we can only find in Jesus.....found in God's Word!  He is our example of fulfillment in doing the will of His heavenly Father.....OUR heavenly Father!  That's what He was talking about when He told the disciples in John 4:32, "I have meat to eat that you know not of."  The disciples thought he was talking about physical food and wondered who had already given Him food to eat.  Jesus had a mission at the well in Samaria.  Verse 4 in the same chapter says, "He must NEEDS go through Samaria" on His way to Galilee.  The mission was bringing salvation to the woman at the well.  She needed the LIVING WATER that only Jesus could supply, then she would thirst no more for the sinful life she was living.  She found His words to be fulfilling.  Matthew 4:4 says, "Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God."  We have God's Word.....the Bible!  Further, John 7:38 says, "He that believes on Me, as the scripture has said, out of his belly will flow rivers of living water."

Eating spiritual junk food is putting other things as a priority over reading God's Word, praying, serving Him, living for Him.  Instead we will be serving ourselves, doing what we want to do instead of doing what He has for us to do.  That looks different for each of us, but there are basic things found in His Word for all of us that are His will for us.  Here are a few:

1 Thessalonians 5:18 - "in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."  You can't get much plainer than that, can you?
1 Thessalonians 4:3 - "For this the will of God, your sanctification:  that you should abstain from sexual immorality;"
Luke 9:23 - "Whoever wants to be My disciple must deny himself and take up his cross DAILY and follow Him."
James 1:5 - "If any of you lack wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you."  We should all ask God for wisdom every day!
Proverbs 3:5, 6 - "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not to your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your path."
1 Peter 2:15 - "For this is the will of God, that by doing good you may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men."
Ephesians 5:15-20 - "Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.  Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is.  Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery.  Instead, be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit.  Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ."
Micah 6:8 - "He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.  And what does the Lord require of you?  To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."

Pointing a finger at you, with 3 fingers pointing back at me.....let's get rid of the junk food and make the Bread of life our priority one.  Bread of heaven, feed me till I want no more!  Fill my cup, fill it up and make me whole!

John 6:48-51
"I am that bread of life.  Your fathers ate manna in the wilderness and are dead.  This is the bread which comes down from heaven that a man may eat thereof and not die.  I am the living bread which came down from heaven:  if any man eat of this bread, he shall live forever:  and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world."

No comments: