Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need of further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, The Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, that so I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, "Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away." Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wondered so long. In Jesus' name. Amen
Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

Monday, March 16, 2009

March 16, 2009

Only 4 more days and Spring will officially be on the calendar! WOOHOO! I was beginning to wonder if it would ever get here! But, really, the spring flowers have been in full bloom now for about 2 weeks! The trees are in full bloom, for the most part, too. I took a picture of some forsythia last week, but it was really too far away to do any good. So today I decided I would try to get some pictures of the forsythia along the road as Tim and I went to walk at the mall. I wasn't able to get a great picture today, either. But, I think you can tell that they are pretty much in full bloom.

If you follow my blog, you will remember that I made a comment about wondering if the forsythia had anything to do with the naming of Forsyth County here in NC where we live. So, today I looked up the history of Forsyth County, and here is what I found:

Forsyth County began as a Moravian settlement in 1753 when Bishop August Gottlieb Spangenberg acquired a hundred-thousand acre tract of land from Lord Granville, one of the lord proprietors of North Carolina. The Moravians called their land Wachovia after the Austrian estate of Count Nicholas Lewis von Zinzendorf, an early protector of the Moravian church.

After the two settlements of Bethabara and Bethania were established, the town of Salem was begun in 1766 as the central town in Wachovia. Salem grew rapidly both as a religious center and as a center for crafts and trades.

Forsyth County was named in honor of Colonel Benjamin Forsyth, a respected landowner in Stokes County. Colonel Forsyth distinguished himself in battle during the war of 1812 at Odelltown, Canada, where he was mortally wounded.

In 1849, the North Carolina legislature created the new County of Forsyth out of part of Stokes County. In 1851, the town of Winston was named as the County seat. The courthouse square was laid one mile north of Salem Square with plans for the street of the two towns to run together.

In 1949, Willie H. Johnson, Jr., a Carver High School student, designed the Forsyth County seal during a contest to celebrate the County's centennial.

Forsyth County has progressed from its rustic past to a modern community which offers a variety of services to its citizens.

So, now that we know the two have nothing in common, today's page is a Quick Page from Joyce de Jonge's "Easter Eggztractions" kit. This is a really fun kit with some special instructions included for making cracked Easter egg surprise layouts! You need to check out the kit to find out what I'm talking about. It is found HERE.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love forsythias!! I would love to have one in my yard, but Tim doesn't like them and has always said it's something else to mow around!

Vicky said...

They sure take over, if you don't keep them trimmed! I remember the one at the corner of the parsonage there in Buffalo. It was always wild and wooly, LOL, til I cut it back to basically a stump! And, it still lived! I do think they are pretty, however! I love the yellow color!