Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need of further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, The Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, that so I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, "Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away." Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wondered so long. In Jesus' name. Amen
Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

Friday, February 5, 2016

Books GALORE!

You know what Thursdays are for us, right?  If you don't, then you really don't know us very well!  :D

Ever since I can remember, Tim's day off has been on Thursday.  When we lived in Buffalo, WV and I was working full time at the power plant, Tim did the grocery shopping with his blind friend, Anthony, on Thursday.  They would always eat out for lunch, too.  And since I worked LOTS of overtime, Tim always fixed the evening meals through the week and I fixed them on the weekends.

Since we moved to Winston Salem, NC in 2008, I have not had to work.  So, when Thursday rolls around, I now get to spend the day with Tim.  And, while we usually end up at Walmart for this, that, or the other (today it was bananas and floss) our main thing to do on his day off is go to the thrift shops.  Mostly, the thrifts are Goodwill stores, but there are a few different ones we visit from time to time, depending on which area we are going to.

One week we will eat breakfast out and skip lunch and eat an early dinner out.  The next week we usually eat breakfast at home and eat lunch and dinner out.  Or sometimes when we have been gone most of the day, we may eat leftovers.  Today we ate breakfast at IHOP and ate dinner at Applebees at around 4:30.


our daily photo


About a year ago, Tim put together a list of all of the Goodwills in most of the areas of North Carolina that we can make into a day trip.  And we rotate between those areas from week to week.  Today we were in Kernersville and Walkertown.  Then, when we are done with those, if we are not yet "weary" and still want to go to some more, we will go to the regular 2 or 3 here closer to the house.

The other areas we go to include High Point, Greensboro, Charlotte, and one week we will go to Clemmons, hitting the Jonestown Goodwill on the way, then to Mocksville, then to Lexington, then to Thomasville.  We call this group, "the four corners."  So, we shuffle it up enough that it keeps it interesting.

Today we each found several books by the authors we read.  We have our lists that we carry with us so that we can confirm whether we have the books already or not.  We are stock piling them, in other words!  :D  Tim is reading through his pile faster than I am because I am doing lots of other things besides reading books.  You know what I mean.....sewing, crocheting, knitting, crafting, art, blogging, facebooking, scrapbooking, etc., etc.

Here are my favorite authors on my current list:
Jan Karon
Karen Kingsbury
Beverly Lewis
Janette Oke
Eugenia Price
Francine Rivers
Brock and Bodie Thoene
Lori Wick

So I found 9 books today.  One of them I already had.  That's what happens when I try to go by memory in finding my books!  What happened was that I left my list at home today, so we decided to make a pit stop back at the house after breakfast.  On the way back to the house we stopped at one of the Goodwills here near the house and right off the bat I found 3 books that I was pretty sure that I needed.  But when I got home and got my list, found out one of the books of the 3 I already had.  Oh well!  I will turn it in to the used book store for store credit.

I also found a storage box, which I can ALWAYS use, and a specialty stapler for the extra wide, decorative scrapbooking type staples.

thrift store finds
OK, that's it for the day for me!  Gonna do a little more reading and then it is bed time!  Nite!

No comments: