Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need of further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, The Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, that so I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, "Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away." Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wondered so long. In Jesus' name. Amen
Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

Saturday, June 3, 2017

His Eye is on the Sparrow

We got up about 8:30.  Kim already had the car packed and ready to go.  She intended to be on the road by 10, but she made it an hour earlier.  It was a tearful goodbye with her giving me words of encouragement.  Her husband died of cancer several years ago, so she knows exactly what I am going through.  I will miss her.

Tim ate a good breakfast and then watched some news, in between some snoozing.
He has been running a low-grade fever off and on yesterday and today.  He has had some minor headaches, too.  I don't like these symptoms, so will be keeping a close eye on him.  His walking was not as steady today, either.

About 10:00, he got dressed and we took a walk around the parking lot, came back to the house and he wanted to sit under the carport to do some bird watching.  He really likes the lounge chair his mom gave to us.

We sat outside for several hours.  The Parks family was having a reunion in the fellowship hall and they invited the whole church.  So, at 2:00 we went inside, I changed clothes and then we headed over.  The food was delicious!  And, so was the company.  Tim didn't eat much.  He was getting another headache and was cold.  Plus, the noise was too much for him, so we left quietly, went to the church to find an article and then headed back to the house.  I thought he would want to head into the house to take a nap.  But, instead he wanted to sit in the recliner again.  He was gone in no time!




It was a beautiful day.  It was a bit warm under the carport the later in the day it got, but there was a breeze.
And, here are the bird pictures I captured today:
I believe both are female house finches

Male goldfinch


Male goldfinch

Female goldfinch

Bluebird.  Best back picture I've been able to get showing its beautiful color.

This one is pretty skinny.  I'm thinking it might one of the young ones born this year.

Male house finch



Male cardinal


Bluebird

All 3 bluebirds.
And this is my little reminder that God is going to take care of me through this trial of Tim's health.  I don't remember where I got it, but when I begin to feel discouraged and overwhelmed, I think about the verse in Matthew 6:26 "Behold the fowls of the air:  for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your Heavenly Father feedeth them.  Are you not much better than they?"  God is already in my tomorrow.  He knows every step he has planned for my future.

This passage down through verse 34 is not about "stuff."  It is about God taking care of my needs, no matter what that need looks like.  Thank You, Lord!

His Eye is on the Sparrow

Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come,
Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heav’n and home,
When Jesus is my portion? My constant Friend is He:
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

Refrain:
I sing because I’m happy, I sing because I’m free,
For His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

“Let not your heart be troubled,” His tender word I hear,
And resting on His goodness, I lose my doubts and fears;
Though by the path He leadeth, but one step I may see;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.


Whenever I am tempted, whenever clouds arise,
When songs give place to sighing, when hope within me dies,
I draw the closer to Him, from care He sets me free;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

5 comments:

Kimberly Pitman said...

Thank you, Vicky for the beautiful reminder of God's love and care.

Another song that comes to my mind often is the one with the words in the chorus, "Many things about tomorrow I don't seem to understand, but I know who holds tomorrow and I know who holds my hand."

Praying for you and Tim, dear friend.

srbourn51@gmail.com said...

The Lord is GOOD - ALL THE TIME!

Ann Bailess said...

Vicky, I pray for you often. The song you quoted "His Eye is on the Sparrow" was sung at my husband's funeral. All the preachers in attendance sang the first 2 verses with the congregation joining on the 3rd. I know I only got through this last couple of months by God's grace and the prayers of His people. Lean on His grace for He's watching you.

Vicky said...

Thank you, Kim! I love that song, too! Thank you for your continued prayers! Love you all!

Yes, Brother Bourn. God IS good All the time!

Ann, thank you for your words of encouragement! I know I lean on the Lord and am trusting Him, but it seems easier to do on some days. Then Satan pushes fears in at other times! I appreciate the prayers so much!

Ann said...

Vicky, I truly wad at my husband's funeral but the preachers sang "Shall we Gather at the River" Our daughter Lydia sang "His Eye is on the Sparrow" I guess I was there more in body than in mind. I'm still praying for you and Bro. Tim.