Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need of further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, The Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, that so I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, "Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away." Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wondered so long. In Jesus' name. Amen
Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Goals and Resolutions

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Been thinking about goals and resolutions?  I have.  I'm not a "resolution keeper" but every year I set a goal for myself of reading my Bible and praying EVERY day.  And, every year I fail to one degree or another!  I did better in 2010 than I ever have, but I still failed, in my eyes.

The LORD, in His divine way of doing things, brought a verse to my attention this week.  And, it all started with the possession of a book mark that I have had for several years.  In fact, it was given to me by someone, probably a secret sister from our days at BBC, but I just don't remember.  I usually don't keep bookmarks in my Bible because, to me, they get in the way.  But this book mark is so pretty and DELIGHTful that I have kept it on my computer desk.  Well, when I started thinking about my failures this week, this book mark sorta, kinda jumped out at me!  The verse is Psalm 37:4, "DELIGHT thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."  (The word "also" is there because verse 3 instructs us to Trust in the LORD.)  The LORD spoke to me with this verse.  He "told" me that I was not DELIGHTing myself in the "chore" of reading my Bible and praying every day!  Do you see where I'm going with this?  If you and I DELIGHT in "something," we make sure we get to do that "something," don't we?  You know how it is.   You can ALWAYS make time to do the things you REALLY want to do!  I really think this has been my problem in my Bible reading and prayer life.  It has been a CHORE to me.........not a DELIGHT!  I don't HAVE to do it............I GET to do it!  I didn't have this attitude intentionally!  I really think the devil had something to do with it, but now that I know, I can do something about it!  After all, the first offense is a good defense!

That being said, MY verse for 2011 is Psalm 37:4.  And MY word for 2011 is DELIGHT!  You see, my new desire is that I "WANT TO" DELIGHT myself in the LORD!  I feel confident that this is the answer to my problem of not keeping my goal to read my Bible and pray every day!

How about you?  Have you made any New Year's resolutions or goals?

There is going to be a new "challenge" at Faith Sisters called Providence 365.  It focuses on the blessings of God in our lives.  I would encourage each of you to check it out.  Maybe you can take the challenge and, if you don't want to do the digi scrapping thing, create your own version of the challenge!  I intended to begin the 365 project again this year, anyway, but now, it will be called "Providence 365."  As soon as I find the forum and gallery, I'll post the links.

Here's my cover:




Providence 365 Cover using A Fresh Start and today's page using Wishin' I Were Fishin' by Today's Scrap

4 comments:

Elisabeth said...

very convicting post, mom! I got Hannah and Kara matching necklaces with the first part of that verse on the box. It has a new meaning now! I might try the challenge you talked about, minus the scrapbooking. Love you! Can't wait to see you in a few weeks!

Kimberly Pitman said...

You are so right about the DELIGHT part. I once heard someone say that God wants our "devotion" and not just our "devotions." I am pretty good about reading and communing with the Lord but there are some days where I make it another burden. Sometimes when I get bogged down I try reading the Scripture portion aloud. It seems to help me slow down and focus. ninters

I love your pages, btw!

Lisa said...

I definately need that! I hate to say it, but I know there are time when I act like reading my Bible is a chore- not a blessing. Thanks for the reminder! :)

katlen124 said...

Delight is an excellent word. I have notice how many times we are told to rejoice. We should be happy people.
Now off to look for my word.