Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need of further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, The Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, that so I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, "Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away." Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wondered so long. In Jesus' name. Amen
Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

Sunday, January 21, 2018

Beautiful Words! Wonderful Words!

I pray you spent time with your church family feasting on God's Word today!  Sometimes I wish we could just all live together, singing, praying and feasting on God's Word from sun up to sun down! 

But, we are to spread what we learn in church to the world around us.  We are not to have our light hidden under a basket.  We are to be on a lamp stand, shining brightly for the world to see what Jesus has done for us, not keep the gospel within the 4 walls of the church.

Tonight Bobby's message was "How to Read the Bible."  He shared 3 points with us:
1.  Prayer should precede the reading of God's Word.
2.  Plan to read it habitually.
3.  Practice reading the Bible with the intent to remember it and profit from it.

Besides his message, Bobby shared C.H. Spurgeon's message of the same, "How to Read the Bible" that he preached on June 21, 1866.  He shared 7 points:
1.  Read and Depend on the Spirit of God.
2.  Read and Meditate.
3.  Read and Apply.
4.  Read and Practice.
5.  Read and Pray.
6.  Read and Try (test).
7.  Read and Tell Out what you read.
It was a good read with practical information, too.  And, the 7th point is exactly why we cannot "just live together, singing, praying and feasting on God's Word from sun up to sun down!"  Spurgeon said, "When you read a passage of Scripture and have any enjoyment therein (got something from it), go to your sick neighbor and tell what God has said to you."  We are to share it with the world!  Not keep it to ourselves!

I hope and pray that as I share with you from time to time what God has revealed to me from His Word that it will be a blessing to you, too!  They are "Wonderful Words of Life!"

1.  Sing them over again to me,
Wonderful words of life,
Let me more of their beauty see,
Wonderful words of life;
Words of life and beauty
Teach me faith and duty.

Chorus:
Beautiful words, wonderful words,
Wonderful words of life;
Beautiful words, wonderful words,
Wonderful words of life.

2.  Christ, the blessed One, gives to all
Wonderful words of life;
Sinner, list to the loving call,
Wonderful words of life;
All so freely given,
Wooing us to heaven.

3.  Sweetly echo the Gospel call,
Wonderful words of life;
Offer pardon and peace to all,
Wonderful words of life;
Jesus, only Savior,
Sanctify us forever.


Today's Photos:
Still some snow left, even though the temperature reached almost 70 degrees today!

The ground is sopping wet from the melting, too!

Beautiful skies!

I spent the afternoon in the parsonage doing some packing, etc.  So after being on my feet all afternoon, as soon as I got home tonight, I got my jammies on and my house slippers and propped my feet up to do some reading!


 And, that was my Sunday!  Have a blessed week!

No comments: