Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need of further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, The Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, that so I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, "Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away." Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wondered so long. In Jesus' name. Amen
Excerpt: The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for the Divine, A.W. Tozer

Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Be Ye Kind

Kindness is one of the fruits of the Spirit that Christians are to have.  But how far do you go in being kind to others, especially those who take advantage of your kindness?  This has always been something that has bothered me.  My flesh says don't put up with it.  Yet, my Spirit nudges me to do differently.  My flesh says it isn't fair.  My Spirit says it wasn't fair that Jesus had to pay for my sins, either.

In Matthew 5, Jesus preached the sermon on the mount.  You know, the one that started out with the Beattitudes.....Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.....Well, verse 7 says, Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.  How many times are we to show mercy?  How many times do you want mercy shown unto you?  That is the answer to how many times we are to show mercy.  You ALWAYS want mercy shown to you, right?

Then, verses 13-15 talk about us being salt and light in the world, followed by verse 16 which says, Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.  Kindness is a good work, wouldn't you say?

Then, verse 19 says, Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.  This verse is saying, don't just do as I say, but do as I do.  I'm to be setting the example.  The scribes and Pharisees weren't "doing" what they were instructing everyone else to do.

In verse 20, Jesus said, For I say unto you, That except your righteousness (100% perfection 100% of the time, sinless, in other words) shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.  What does that mean?  Glad you asked.  The scribes and Pharisees thought they were righteous because of the things THEY did.  But, God looks upon those things as filthy rags in His sight.  The only righteousness that will allow anyone to enter heaven's gates is the righteousness of Jesus Christ.  That means YOU have to be 100% perfect 100% of the time.  No one but Jesus has EVER done that!  But, when we trust Him as our savior, a HUGE exchange is made.  He takes our sins and gives us His righteousness in their place!  NOW we can enter heaven!  How can anyone refuse a trade like that?!

Next Jesus talks about the things the scribes and Pharisees "said" were laws to abide by, but Jesus told them outward appearances didn't matter but that the attitude of the heart, which only God can see, is what matters.  He contrasts "their" ways with His ways.

Then comes the last part of the chapter, which is where my original question of kindness comes into play.

38 ¶ Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. (Don't return evil for evil.)
40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also.
41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain. (Ouch, says my flesh)
42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away. (OUCH, OUCH, says my flesh!)
43 ¶ Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; (My flesh says, Do I HAVE to?)
45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?
47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?
48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

So, I don't think we are to be kind to someone only as long as we feel it is reasonable.  It seems to me that we are to continue being kind to them, whether we feel like it or not, and no matter how they treat us!

I would LOVE to hear your thoughts on this!


I had Tim make sure I was up at 8 this morning so I could start working around the house.  So, he went to the hospital to see the neighbor and I worked on getting the carpet swept and the dusting done.  Then I did some laundry.  I was going next door to take care of the elderly woman when Tim pulled in.  After I got back I ate my breakfast and then headed to the grocery store to pick up some things I forgot to get on Monday.
Yummy strawberry yogurt with granola.  That was my breakfast and lunch.
After I got the groceries put away, I worked on the checkbook.  Then I started some of the cooking for this weekend, ending with fixing hamburgers and tater tots for our supper.  After supper I went back to take care of the elderly woman before my shower for church.

I've worked on a couple more scrapbook pages (in my spare time, LOL).
Challenge was to show the feelings of the holiday.

Had to use the word, Holiday.

Had to use the word art, "at Christmas all roads lead home"
OK, gonna be another long day tomorrow!  Have a good one!  The weather is not looking too promising for this weekend.  Cool and rainy off and on.  I like to have a white Christmas, but not for the travelers that will be coming in!

No comments: